Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

My site is too slow

Featured Replies

Who is your host? I know nothing of Joomla! but transferred a WP site on GoDaddy (yeah, I know) to a different host and it made tons of difference. That's one option. Another option could be the amount of plugins you're using as that can cause slowdown, but that's a guess.

 

Just had a further look - your site isn't really optimised for g-zip compression even though you've configured it. The images need to be reduced in size, parsing your JS but more importantly, you have 68 number of requests on page load...

Combine CSS and Javascript.

Use a minifyer plugin is there is one fro Joomla.

Keep images on reasonable resolution and in JPEG.

Load whatever you can from CDN (this really boosts!)

Get a host with good response time.

Finally consider cloudflare if you are lazy to do the above.

  • Author

Hi All,

 

Thank you for your feedback.

However, I am a newbie in this business and not familiar with all the techniques you proposed.

I built my site in Joomla and dont really know html.

 

I am on hostgator and don't want to do radical changes and switch.

 

 

So, detailed questions:

1. How do I reduce number of plugins?

2. How do I do further optimization for Gzip?

3. How can I reduce 68 number of requests on page ?

4. How can I reduce 20 stylesheets and 22 external javascripts ?

5. what is CDN? How to use it?

6. How to use miniyer plugin on Joomla?

 

Thanks for your assistance,

 

Studio Liorit

http://www.studio-liorit.co.il

Thanks for this reply I have also a same problem with my website hope after doing all things you describe my website will fast load time.

Combine CSS and Javascript.

Use a minifyer plugin is there is one fro Joomla.

Keep images on reasonable resolution and in JPEG.

Load whatever you can from CDN (this really boosts!)

Get a host with good response time.

Finally consider cloudflare if you are lazy to do the above.

Get chrome dev tools up and look in the network panel. You'll see what's taking the time to load. If it's server side, ask your host.

 

Google web page speed optimisation, Chris Coyier had a couple of great articles on performance.

I would say loading 4 different versions of jquery won't help!

 

I would hazard a guess and say that at least 50% of the scripts being loaded aren't even being used.

  • Author

Hi Everybody,

 

I am sure some of you know how to resolve it, but for a newbie that just using joomla as plug-n-play it is not obvious.

 

I would appreciate idiot proof explanation, step-by-step if possible.

 

How do I know which plugin can I remove?

 

Thanks,

 

Studio-Liorit

http://www.studio-liorit.co.il

Load up your site in firefox using the firebug dev tools, install the yslow plugin. This will reveal why you website will be slow as Nillervision stated you have way to many external sources such as stylesheets. Why does your page require so many, something doesn't seem right there.

 

Http requests slow down a page load time dramatically so reduce them as much as possible by combining files.

  • 2 years later...

Plugins for sure are the number 1 culprit. I'd disable them all, enable them on by one and see which plugin is causing the slowness, if ever. 1.gif

  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

 

I have designed a website in Joomla.

 

It is a family business photography studio:

 

http://www.studio-liorit.co.il

 

The problem is that the site is just too slow.

 

I already did all the basics : Gzip, cache, images compression

 

Any other ideas?

 

 

 

Hai Kobi,

 

The issue is not from your side means, it'll be a hosting provider's side....Ask them about this issue. Site loading highly affect your ranking too. There is option to change the host from shared to VPS (or) Dedicated... Go for it which is suitable for your website.

 

 

 

Regards,

Vicky

This isn't going to fix your underlying problems, but try using JCH Optimize and JotCache. Also, if you are loading multiple jQuery libraries as suggested in previous posts, install JQuery Easy. You should notice significant performance improvements. Check your site out on GTmetrix before and after you install them.

 

Make sure you have a full backup of your files and database before you start.

Don't think there's much point in installing additional plugins to avoid loading multiple copies of jQuery. Just stop using these plugins alltogether, most are not written with performance in mind.

Websites cobbled together with a bunch of plugs are inevitably gonna perform poorly when compared to a well written custom coded one.

 

Anyway this topic is over 2 years old.. Maybe we should look into locking old stale threads?

Edited by rbrtsmith

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.