February 22, 201313 yr Can anyone recommend the best plugin for transferring an entire site (database, files everything) from one domain to another? I want to build my
February 22, 201313 yr Author Oops - pressed enter by mistake! Please see original comment above! I want to move an entire WordPress site from (for example) www.site1.com to www.site2.com
February 22, 201313 yr Sorry I've no idea, however I will watch this as I might need to move a WP site soon. I read a few guides online but it's down to version etc. If anyone has a 'check list' for WP moves that would be handy.
February 22, 201313 yr Why do you need a "plugin"? I see two ways to do this... 1) Update WP settings for the new domain, then in your hosting control panel change the domain name for the account to the new domain (or add it as a parked/addon domain). So you have not moved anything, you just linked the new domain to the same site. or to move it to a new server where the new domain is... 2) Your hosting control panel should have a method to backup or Zip all files so do that. If it doesnt you would need to download all files using FTP and and also the database needs to be downloaded from the database manager in the control panel. Then in your new hosting for the new domain, upload the files, unzip, setup a database etc. OR its possible WP has a plugin to do your backup for you, which you can then download and upload to a new server. Either you extract the backup and set it up yourself, or its possible it could come with a self-extracter. If you do not have the facility in your web hosting control panel to do zip and database management, I would find a host that provides a good hosting control panel.
February 22, 201313 yr Author Thanks very much for this, I've contacted my host to see what they can do.
Create an account or sign in to comment