Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Inserting a Divider

Featured Replies

I want a divider between each post on my news page (http://http://www.shaunhillphotography.co.uk/news/), like the one on
http://pexeto.com/acoustic_wp/blog/

 

I have a valid installation of this theme, but it just didn't cut it. So I have been working with an alternative theme. However, I miss the above described feature and would like it reintroduced using the alternative theme.


I expect I will need to make a modification to a php file, so that the theme automatically inserts this divider between each news article automatically, along with inserting

 

.category-news{width: 100%;display: block;border-top: 1px solid 
#ebebeb;border-bottom: 1px solid #f5f5f5;}
 

into the custom CSS file.


Does anyone know how I would go about doing this?


Edited by Ben

Hi,

See attached screenshot of what i've done.

post-546-0-33533800-1361467635_thumb.png

 

You'll need to add a new div between each post element, this will be in the php...

 

<div id="content-sm">

<div id="post-750"></div>

<div class="post-spacer"></div>

<div id="post-751"></div>

</div>

 

Then give the styling:

.post-spacer {
    border-bottom: 1px solid #F5F5F5;
    border-top: 1px solid #EBEBEB;
    display: block;
    font-size: 1px;
    height: 1px;
    margin: 0 0 20px;
    width: 100%;
}
 

 

To neaten up the other elements alter some of the existing styles e.g.

Remove both the borders from ".entry-utility"

And change the margin on to .post to margin: 0 0 1em;

Edited by SEOLover

  • Author
<div id="content-sm">
       <div id="post-750"></div>
       <div class="post-spacer"></div>
       <div id="post-751"></div>
</div>

 

Thank you for your reply.

 

Am I searching for <div id="content-sm"> within the theme php files?

 

Regarding the rest (tidying and adding stuff), is this what you mean?

#body{
	line height: 0px
}

#branding{
	width: 250px
}

#breadcrumb{
    padding-top: 25px;
}

#container{
    background: none repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;
    line heigh: 0px
    border: 0 solid #CCCCCC;
    float: left;
    margin: 0 0 15px;
    padding: 0 25px;
    width: 910px;
    }
	
#content-sm{
	width: 100%;
	float: left;
    padding-top: 25px;
    padding-right: 0%;
}	

.entry-utility {
    width: 100%;
    display: block;
}

#footer {
	border-top:0px;
}

h1 {
	border-bottom:0px;
}
	
.menu a .cufon {
	border-bottom-width: 1px;
	border-bottom-style: solid;
	border-bottom-color: #000000;
}
.menu a:hover .cufon {
	border-bottom-width: 1px;
	border-bottom-style: solid;
	border-bottom-color: #ED1C22;
}

p {
	margin-bottom:0.5em;
}

.post-110{
    padding-top: 2px;
	margin: 0 0 1em;
}

.post-1003{
    padding-top: 25px;
	margin: 0 0 1em;
}

.post-spacer {
    border-bottom: 1px solid #F5F5F5;
    border-top: 1px solid #EBEBEB;
    display: block;
    font-size: 1px;
    height: 1px;
    margin: 0 0 20px;
    width: 100%;
}

#riva-slider-1-shell {
    overflow: hidden; 
    width: 985px;
    margin-left: -25px;
}

td{
width:100%;
height:50px;
}

#wrapper{
	overflow: hidden;
	border-radius: 5px; 
	-moz-border-radius: 5px; 
	-webkit-border-radius: 5px; 
	border: 1px goutset #ffffff;
	background-color:#fff;
}
/*
#widget-area{
    hidden
}
*/

Yes i'd do a search, many dvanced text/html editors can do a "find in files" - so you could just do a search for "content-sm" within the theme directory and find it that way.

 

Yes your styling looks fine you just need to add:

 

.post { margin: 0 0 1em;}

 

You don't need to add anything else e.g. remove .post-110, .post-1003 etc

  • Author

Thank you for your reply. I tried 1em but the spacing between one post and the heading of the next was confusing, so I made it 2em. This looks fine for all the entries, except at the bottom of the page.

 

#body{
	line height: 0px
}

#branding{
	width: 250px
}

#breadcrumb{
    padding-top: 25px;
}

#container{
    background: none repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;
    line heigh: 0px
    border: 0 solid #CCCCCC;
    float: left;
    margin: 0 0 15px;
    padding: 0 25px;
    width: 910px;
    }
	
#content-sm{
    width: 100%;
	float: left;
    padding-top: 25px;
    padding-right: 0%;
}	

.entry-utility {
    width: 100%;
    display: block;
}

#footer {
	border-top:0px;
}

h1 {
	border-bottom:0px;
}
	
.menu a .cufon {
	border-bottom-width: 1px;
	border-bottom-style: solid;
	border-bottom-color: #000000;
}
.menu a:hover .cufon {
	border-bottom-width: 1px;
	border-bottom-style: solid;
	border-bottom-color: #ED1C22;
}

p {
	margin-bottom:0.5em;
}

.post { margin: 0 0 2em;}

.post-spacer {
    border-bottom: 1px solid #F5F5F5;
    border-top: 1px solid #EBEBEB;
    display: block;
    font-size: 1px;
    height: 1px;
    margin: 0 0 20px;
    width: 100%;
}

#riva-slider-1-shell {
    overflow: hidden; 
    width: 985px;
    margin-left: -25px;
}

td{
width:100%;
height:50px;
}

#wrapper{
	overflow: hidden;
	border-radius: 5px; 
	-moz-border-radius: 5px; 
	-webkit-border-radius: 5px; 
	border: 1px goutset #ffffff;
	background-color:#fff;
}
/*
#widget-area{
    hidden
}
*/

 

I searched for content-sm and there are a lot of results within a lot of PHP files. However, there isn't any DIV styling within the PHP files. Is this alright?

Edited by Sheepdisease

It is probably in index . php as it is a wordpress site, but would quite easily be in a different file depending on the theme.

 

Also, I have noticed that on a larger screen, the content DIV floats to the right, im not sure if that is the desired affect? My screen resolution is 1920px wide. Hope this helps, its looking nice btw :)

 

Leon.

  • Author

Thank you for the feedback. I don't want anything to go out of line, do you know what I need to do to fix that?

  • Author

Wow, you were right. First place I attempted to insert the divider and it worked:

 

index.php

<?php /* The entry content */ ?>					
<div class="entry-content">	
<?php the_content( __( 'Continue reading <span class="meta-nav">»</span>', 'photocrati-framework' )  ); ?>
<?php wp_link_pages('before=<div class="page-link">' . __( 'Pages:', 'photocrati-framework' ) . '&after=</div>') ?>
				</div><!-- .entry-content -->
				<div id="post-750"></div>
				<div class="post-spacer"></div>
				<div id="post-751"></div>

 

That's awesome. Just need to alter the appearance now I think?

 

How do I fix this DIV problem?

Can't you just give a class to all your posts and style that class with a bottom-border and some extra margin? I don't use WP so not sure if it's possible but if it is then you won't need to use an empty div.

  • Author

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, when I replaced the existing .post style with yours it messed up the appearance of divider between the posts.

 

Any idea why?

 

I've just done a search using the website and noticed the divider doesn't appear.

 

http://www.shaunhillphotography.co.uk/?s=wedding

 

What php file needs editing to insert this?

<!-- #entry-utility -->	
    <div id="post-750"><padding-top: 50px></div>
	<div class="post-spacer"></div>
	<div id="post-751"></div>      

Dont replace add to the existing css and remove the div post spacer

 

.post {
margin: 0 0 2em;
border-bottom: 1px solid #EBEBEB;
box-shadow: 0 1px 0 #ffffff,0 2px 0 #f5f5f5;}

 

using box-shadow to get your different colours

Edited by mteam

  • Author

Thank you for the suggestion, but when I tried that it didn't produce any effect under each post, and furthermore it messed up the picture slider on the front page because it added px25% padding to the left.

  • Author

Yep, I must have done something wrong. The code you have given me is what I needed all along, to avoid having to actually amend any PHP!

 

I've been trying to copy the CSS styling to get the links underneathe to appear with the same spacing and on the right hand side like on http://pexeto.com/acoustic_wp/blog/ to no avail. What do I need to add in order to get this to happen?

 

Thank you so much for your help.


.entry-utility {
width: 100%;
display: block;
margin-bottom: 1px;
overflow: auto;/*added this line*/
}


.cat-links{
float: right;
padding: 0 4px 7px 0;/*adjust to suit*/
}
  • Author

Every time you reply you bring joy into my life! Thank you.

 

How do I replace the standard 'Search' button with the graphical button which is contained within the search function on the website pexeto website I linked to previously (showing as a widget on that page). I have modified it so that it is more consistent with the theme thus far.

 

Couple of questions about this page:

 

http://www.shaunhillphotography.co.uk/contact/

 

Why doesn't the 'website' field appear like the rest and why is there a strange space on the right hand side?

space on right hand side is because your tables width is smaller

 

If you look at the css for the search button on the pexeto website its all there

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.