Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

SEO question

Featured Replies

Hi folks,

 

I am fixing and re-designing my website and I am putting the SEO into place. I think I have done the On Page SEO procedures correctly but now I am going through my site and finding keywords to use as external links. My question is for example, say if I use the words "internet marketing" can I legally link that to wiki or elsewhere without getting permission?

I'm not really to sure about the laws regarding this I did a bit of a search but could not find much on the subject so thought this would be a good place to ask.

 

Cheers,

 

Glenn

You mean linking to or from a wiki?

 

Linking to a wiki won't have any benefit and will be a pointless.

 

Linking from a wikipedia page, it won't last long on there.

 

I think what you're getting at is backlinking and is a bit of a grey area sometimes. Spamming the **** out of blogs with wank comments like "bookmarked your page blah blah" won't get you anywhere.

 

Best suggestion is comment on blogs, but be part of the discussion, make it useful and interesting.

 

Look into linkbaiting as well

My question is for example, say if I use the words "internet marketing" can I legally link that to wiki or elsewhere without getting permission?

 

Not entirely sure why you would want to do that? Would have absolutely no value to your site whatsoever. In fact, quite the opposite as you are linking people away from your own website. I'm not saying don't ever include external links, just make sure they are relevant, required and of use to the reader.

 

If you are trying to boost your sites rankings then getting other sites to link to your site is what you need to be aiming for. Not just any old site, sites that are in the same market area, same niche as yours is. Most blogs and forums are nofollow links these days so no point in spamming hundreds and hundres as that won't have any benefit.

 

Get people to link naturally. Write your own blogs, join communities in your niche, tweet as much as possible - without spamming.

  • Author

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated. I definitely don't want to or mean smamming I read on some blogs about SEO that having out-going links helps with Google rankings the the same way that keywords within your title tags work. The crawlers like <title> <h1><h2> and keywords within links, images, text and meta description. Not sure perhaps I misinterpreted what I read but why do so many sites bother having external links page? Sounds like I should not bother doing that then but instead concentrate on the incoming links.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated. I definitely don't want to or mean smamming I read on some blogs about SEO that having out-going links helps with Google rankings the the same way that keywords within your title tags work. The crawlers like <title> <h1><h2> and keywords within links, images, text and meta description. Not sure perhaps I misinterpreted what I read but why do so many sites bother having external links page? Sounds like I should not bother doing that then but instead concentrate on the incoming links.

Cheers

Example?

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.