Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

two domains, one website - what should I do..

Featured Replies

hi guys,

I have two domains .com and .co.uk pointing to the same website. I am not sure if it's a good idea. Google might thing it's a duplicated content. Besides I think I would like to own both but redirect always to the .co.uk one and keep this one as a main domain.

What should I do and how can I do this?

 

I have changed the address via google webmaster tools.

I have google analytics account for domain .com but accepting stats from multiple domains (not sure if it works properly because it's hard to verify) so this is done too.

 

I would like to have finally a situation when someone comes to my website (or subpage) for .com domain to redirect them to the same subpage but with .co.uk

Also, I don't want an url without (www) at the begin.

 

Any other things I should do or be aware of to achieve this?

 

FYI, the site is located here:

www (dot) code-digital (dot) com

www (dot) code-digital (dot) co (dot) uk

[sorry I cannot submit links yet]

 

PS. sorry if this is wrong section but I guess you guys here will have best knowledge for seo reasons.

 

Thanks

Lukas

Hey there,

 

It is a good idea, and yes google will consider it duplicate content if you have both sites setup so what you need to do is first ensure that your webserver/hosting company is setup to serve both the .co.uk and .com domains and then you can use the .htaccess rules below to take care of the redirect from the .com to the .co.uk address so the .co.uk solely receives the ranking credit for your content.

 

 

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^code-digital\.co\.uk$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.code-digital.co.uk/$1 [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^code-digital\.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.code-digital.co.uk/$1 [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.code-digital\.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.code-digital.co.uk/$1 [R=301,L]

 

 

The first rule redirects code-digital.co.uk to WWW.code-digital.co.uk

Second Rule redirects code-digital.com to WWW.code-digital.co.uk

Third rule redirects www.code-digital.COM to www.code-digital.CO.UK

 

Rgds,

 

 

Dave

hi guys,

I have two domains .com and .co.uk pointing to the same website. I am not sure if it's a good idea. Google might thing it's a duplicated content. Besides I think I would like to own both but redirect always to the .co.uk one and keep this one as a main domain.

What should I do and how can I do this?

 

I have changed the address via google webmaster tools.

I have google analytics account for domain .com but accepting stats from multiple domains (not sure if it works properly because it's hard to verify) so this is done too.

 

I would like to have finally a situation when someone comes to my website (or subpage) for .com domain to redirect them to the same subpage but with .co.uk

Also, I don't want an url without (www) at the begin.

 

Any other things I should do or be aware of to achieve this?

 

FYI, the site is located here:

www (dot) code-digital (dot) com

www (dot) code-digital (dot) co (dot) uk

[sorry I cannot submit links yet]

 

PS. sorry if this is wrong section but I guess you guys here will have best knowledge for seo reasons.

 

Thanks

Lukas

  • Author

hi daveb, it works perfectly... :)

+rep for that! :-)

THANKS

hi daveb, it works perfectly... :)

+rep for that! :-)

THANKS

 

You're welcome, thanks for the rep!

 

 

 

If its not there, you may have to create it, and remember the period at the beginning : .htaccess

No extension on the file, and the code above is all you need. This is based around the mod_rewrite Apache module, so it goes without saying that this is for Apache servers with mod_rewrite enabled only.

 

 

  • 3 months later...

hi guys,

I have two domains .com and .co.uk pointing to the same website. I am not sure if it's a good idea. Google might thing it's a duplicated content. Besides I think I would like to own both but redirect always to the .co.uk one and keep this one as a main domain.

What should I do and how can I do this?

 

I have changed the address via google webmaster tools.

I have google analytics account for domain .com but accepting stats from multiple domains (not sure if it works properly because it's hard to verify) so this is done too.

 

I would like to have finally a situation when someone comes to my website (or subpage) for .com domain to redirect them to the same subpage but with .co.uk

Also, I don't want an url without (www) at the begin.

 

Any other things I should do or be aware of to achieve this?

 

FYI, the site is located here:

www (dot) code-digital (dot) com

www (dot) code-digital (dot) co (dot) uk

[sorry I cannot submit links yet]

 

PS. sorry if this is wrong section but I guess you guys here will have best knowledge for seo reasons.

 

Thanks

Lukas

 

Make it as two domain with two hostings and two different websites (no copy).

  • 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

I have two domains .com and .co.uk pointing to the same website. I am not sure if it's a good idea. Google might thing it's a duplicated content. Besides I think I would like to own both but redirect always to the .co.uk one and keep this one as a main domain.

What should I do and how can I do this?

 

I have changed the address via google webmaster tools.

I have google analytics account for domain .com but accepting stats from multiple domains (not sure if it works properly because it's hard to verify) so this is done too.

 

I would like to have finally a situation when someone comes to my website (or subpage) for .com domain to redirect them to the same subpage but with .co.uk

Also, I don't want an url without (www) at the begin.

 

Any other things I should do or be aware of to achieve this?

 

FYI, the site is located here:

www (dot) code-digital (dot) com

www (dot) code-digital (dot) co (dot) uk

[sorry I cannot submit links yet]

 

PS. sorry if this is wrong section but I guess you guys here will have best knowledge for seo reasons.

 

Thanks

Lukas

I will also suggest that do not redirect from .com to .co.uk as it may confuse the visitor or even they may feel that the site is down and made up by temporarily another domain. Instead of this, you can apply two different designs with different contents to the both domains.

  • 3 weeks later...

Why are people still replying to this. Daveb gave the perfect answer and the op accepted this and thanked him.

All this rubbish about having two web sites with different content, have you not stopped and looked at how many top name sites have masses of domain names pointing towards the same place.

 

Before anyway else decides to drag upa a dead thread with stupid replies I am closing this and everyone should rep Daveb!

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.