Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Redesigned my site AGAIN!

Featured Replies

Hi Guys... i have something that really annoys me, i'm fine designing other peoples' websites, but when it comes to my own, i never feel that i'm getting it right.

Anyway ive settles on the site now, small, easy to navigate and simple... what do you all think

 

http://www.trwb.co.uk

Your code doesn't validate, to be honest I don't really like it. It looks far too template-like and it looks like one of these turn key websites off Ebay...and just as I say that i notice hat you are selling a turn key website. I'm sorry but that's not really a professional image your setting to people. If you want to sell turn key websites or run them I would say not to have a link from your portfolio...

I have to say I have no idea what a turn key site is...

I think this site looks great - can't fault it. Maybe work on validating the code and it's ready to go :)

Wow a web guru who doesn't add the alt attribute to images and has a good few simple errors on their site, such as the alt thing and closing tags. So I agree with the others, if you are a web guru your site should validate to the strictest of standards and not have very silly errors.

 

Also if you know as much about coding as you claim, from your experience on the side then you should know the basics of coding such as only using one <h1> tag per page, and I count 4 on your first page :o

 

As for the design, its clean and simple, I don't like the reflection of your logo as it doesn't seem done right, in my eyes. Padding fine, navigation fine. I don't like the monitor thing with the hand coming out of its as it feels positioned wrong on the page. I can't really comment much on it as there is nothing really that stands out as wrong, but there is nothing that stands out as being great, its just the run of a mill basic site, that just doesn't stand out as being good or bad.

only using one <h1> tag per page

Dizi - is there a reason for this? I recently used the <h1> tag three times on my page without knowing any better. Is it something to do with SEO?

Dizi - is there a reason for this? I recently used the <h1> tag three times on my page without knowing any better. Is it something to do with SEO?

 

Yes. The correct way to structure an HTML page is to use H1 for the heading, H2 for the second heading, H3 for the third and so on...This will ensure your page has better SEO.

 

I've also been told that this also applies to sections within your page. For example if you had two sections on say, Winter and Summer you would use H1, H2, H3 for your heading and sub headers for the Summer section and then repeat the process again for your Winter section. You wouldn't use H1, H2, H3, H4, H5 and H6 throughout the two sections.

 

I hope this makes sense!!

Hi Guys... i have something that really annoys me, i'm fine designing other peoples' websites, but when it comes to my own, i never feel that i'm getting it right.

Anyway ive settles on the site now, small, easy to navigate and simple... what do you all think

 

http://www.trwb.co.uk

 

I think some of the other members have been a little harsh about this site. Or at best are displaying a lack of encouragement.

 

I do agree with some points made, the site does look a little templatey or amateur but you can do something about this. Firstly, I for one don't really like the W3 validation image as I think this makes sites look amateur. of course make sure your HTML (and preferably CSS) validates but leave the image out.

 

Secondly, I think the navigation (the black text on grey background) doesn't look great. I do however like the hover state you have (the blue background and white text). I would seriously consider using this as your normal navigation color as this stands out nicely and then for the hover state, just make the text black or a very dark blue.

 

Thirdly, give that webdesigner forum image at the footer of your page some padding to pull it away from the links. It looks awfully squashed up!! Not good. I would also consider changing the footer links to a bold, dark blue and make them stand out more.

 

I personally quite like the logo and I think it stands out quite nicely. The TR works very nicely in your favicon which is bold, clear and looks good.

 

Finally, I don't really like the yellow corner line at the top left and I would consider removing this. I also think that the whole page container is a little small. I would make it much wider to fit the larger screens people have nowadays.

 

Anyway, I hope you take this all as constructive criticism as I think if you implemented these small changes the site would look better.

 

It has potential though so don't get disheartened!!

 

Sam

OOOOpps

 

I've always done this wrong....I thought you used an H1 tag and then subheadings were H2 and sub sub headings H3.....

 

you learn something every day..... :rolleyes:

Personally I don't like this layout. It is too small, too bland, and doesn't shout "this is a reputable web designer" to me.

 

You need to make sure your code validates, this is a must for a web designer's website, especially a self-proclaimed Guru. The effort it will take you to get validated, will be worth it in the long run.

 

The navigation falls onto a second line in Safari, and gets hidden behind the logo. I imagine this is because you are using a flawed box model. Also, is there any reason why you are putting your navigation code inside <b> tags? This isn't semantic at all. Apart from that, the navigation is fine, I like the arrows underneath.

 

I agree with Dizi that the reflection of the logo doesn't sit right, it is too bright, and too elaborate for the simplistic design of the layout.

 

I also agree that the screen with the arm poking out, looks like an after thought, it is completely out of place. Was there any reason behind your choosing of it?

 

I'd highly recommend against calling your old site a mess on your new site, why would potential clients want to know you can create messy work?

 

The links on your web design page don't go anywhere yet.

 

Your portfolio is way too complicated to use. You have to remember that most people needing a website, will not be as computer savvy as us, so making something complicated to use will just turn them away. This should be the simplest page on your website, as this is what will sway your visitors into contacting you for work. I suggest removing all the hoops they have to jump through to see the work, and just display it all as thumbnails, which when clicked on, reveal the details about that project.

 

You have potential, but think about what you are trying to achieve. If you put the extra mile in and validate and clean your code, then you will go far. :)

 

Rob

Personally I don't like this layout. It is too small, too bland, and doesn't shout "this is a reputable web designer" to me.

 

You need to make sure your code validates, this is a must for a web designer's website, especially a self-proclaimed Guru. The effort it will take you to get validated, will be worth it in the long run.

 

The navigation falls onto a second line in Safari, and gets hidden behind the logo. I imagine this is because you are using a flawed box model. Also, is there any reason why you are putting your navigation code inside <b> tags? This isn't semantic at all. Apart from that, the navigation is fine, I like the arrows underneath.

 

I agree with Dizi that the reflection of the logo doesn't sit right, it is too bright, and too elaborate for the simplistic design of the layout.

 

I also agree that the screen with the arm poking out, looks like an after thought, it is completely out of place. Was there any reason behind your choosing of it?

 

I'd highly recommend against calling your old site a mess on your new site, why would potential clients want to know you can create messy work?

 

The links on your web design page don't go anywhere yet.

 

Your portfolio is way too complicated to use. You have to remember that most people needing a website, will not be as computer savvy as us, so making something complicated to use will just turn them away. This should be the simplest page on your website, as this is what will sway your visitors into contacting you for work. I suggest removing all the hoops they have to jump through to see the work, and just display it all as thumbnails, which when clicked on, reveal the details about that project.

 

You have potential, but think about what you are trying to achieve. If you put the extra mile in and validate and clean your code, then you will go far. :)

 

Rob

 

I would definetely listen to Robs advice!! He obviously knows his stuff and you should be glad you are getting such help from a knowledgable source ;)

 

sam

  • Author

Thanks for the input guys i have taken it on board and validated my XHTML

 

Nathan, can i ask what makes it look templaty... if it is the fact that it is a simple box layout etc then that is because it is what I want, why does the fact that it is a box layout make it look like a turnkey site :huh:

 

Also the sites I sell are not turnkey, you cannot just leave them like the £20 crap you get on eBay

 

Regards to the logo, I might change the reflection on the bottom when i have more time

 

And with regards to a comment about me saying the previous site was a mess; it wasnt me that made it a mess lol it was the previous design company. Maybe I should make this more clear

Yes. The correct way to structure an HTML page is to use H1 for the heading, H2 for the second heading, H3 for the third and so on...This will ensure your page has better SEO.

 

I've also been told that this also applies to sections within your page. For example if you had two sections on say, Winter and Summer you would use H1, H2, H3 for your heading and sub headers for the Summer section and then repeat the process again for your Winter section. You wouldn't use H1, H2, H3, H4, H5 and H6 throughout the two sections.

 

I hope this makes sense!!

 

I've just realised that this actually contradicts with what Dizi said who is obviously very knowledgable and I don't want to give out the wrong information so maybe someone can shed some more light on this fundamental HTML issue? I was just relaying what I was told by someone into web design.

 

Sam

Thanks for the input guys i have taken it on board and validated my XHTML

 

Excellent job on getting validated, you're a step in the right direction now :D

  • Jo 90 locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.