Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Members Only Area

Featured Replies

hi all -

 

I am a trainee and have been asked to put together a website with a registration system/members only area for a paying client

 

however, the client's hosting does not support MySQL/PHP - which I could probably have worked out

the hosting only supports Perl/CGI leaving me a bit confused...

 

is there a way to do this via Perl/CGI (that isn't ridiculously complex)?

or should I tell them they have to upgrade their hosting if they want this feature?

 

any advice gratefully recieved - eighty0ne

http://www.locked-area.com/ is one of the better Perl member/registration scripts, and supports text databases. It shoukld do everything you need. Also look at http://www.opencrypt.com/ from the same developers.

 

Other scripts...

http://www.membershipclientpro.com/

http://www.sunnyscript.com/PerlCGI/AccessGuardian/index.htm

if the members username/passwords don't need to be unique to each member, then you could use a htaccess/htpasswd setup.

  • Author

hi again - thanks for your input php_penguin

 

basically, it seems likely that I will be able to convince the client to change their hosting service

they have asked me to recommend a few that support MySQL/PHP so I thought I'd come back and ask the professionals!

 

any suggestions?

 

cheers in advance ~ eighty0ne

htaccess/htpasswd is the quickest and easiest way.

 

Per/CGI is a great language, but its getting outdated however. Maybe switch to PHP.

 

Fasthosts are a good hosting company overall if you are technically savvy.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.