Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Free Forum Software with decent User Profiles

Featured Replies

Right, I'm guessing most of you know that IPB and VBulletin have the best user profiles.

The free forum scripts such as MyBB, PunBB, FluxBB and all the rest that I have tried have plain, boring and pointless user profiles.

 

The IPB and VBulletin have insanely awesome user profiles.

Just wondering if any of you have seen a decent free forum script that has a decent user profile page. Even if you have to have an extension/mod to change the parts around and make it look decent like IPB and VBulletin.

 

I have been looking for a long, long time and I just can not find one decent enough for me to carry on using it. Obviously if I had money to throw away I would of paid for a IPB license, but I don't, hence the free script searching. :)

 

Thanks in advance, Danny. :yr:

Edited by DannyG17

  • Author

Never heard of that forum script before.

Seems pretty decent, specially compared to the other ones.

 

Thanks for the share.

Take a look at Vanilla Forums.

I remember seeing them a long while back and being impressed - seems to be a very elegant forum software.

 

I have been using vanilla for a while, they recently released vanilla 2 which is a great improvement.

 

The have an add on for almost anything you can imagine and it is very stable.

Edited by pat24

I have been using vanilla for a while, they recently released vanilla 2 which is a great improvement.

 

The have an add on for almost anything you can imagine and it is very stable.

I think I first visited their website when it was all in Beta, and even then it looked like it would have an edge on at least the other free scripts. Nice to hear that it went down well. Have you got a link to your forum? I'd love a little nose around.

 

It's good to see that it can still be done - we're not just stuck with PHPBB, IPB and VB for the rest of the Internet's life!

Edited by andyl

I think I first visited their website when it was all in Beta, and even then it looked like it would have an edge on at least the other free scripts. Nice to hear that it went down well. Have you got a link to your forum? I'd love a little nose around.

 

It's good to see that it can still be done - we're not just stuck with PHPBB, IPB and VB for the rest of the Internet's life!

 

The forum is locked to members only, if you want you can apply for membership, ill authorise it and you can have a look around.

 

http://www.facesuk.co.uk/amh/

The forum is locked to members only, if you want you can apply for membership, ill authorise it and you can have a look around.

 

http://www.facesuk.co.uk/amh/

Ah don't worry about it - what's the forum about then? (Briefly - think we've semi-stolen this thread!)

  • Author

Ah don't worry about it - what's the forum about then? (Briefly - think we've semi-stolen this thread!)

 

Ha. Don't worry about. If anyone knows of any more please post them :)

  • 4 weeks later...

I can advocate for SMF, which is what I use for my own forum (if you're interested http://goo.gl/6b8qC )

 

Having said that, I'm thinking of migrating to Vanilla for a more streamlined and discussion-focused look and feel.

I can advocate for SMF, which is what I use for my own forum (if you're interested http://goo.gl/6b8qC )

 

Having said that, I'm thinking of migrating to Vanilla for a more streamlined and discussion-focused look and feel.

 

Wise choice, vanilla is certainly different in its approach to forum software, but very easy to customise

Wise choice, vanilla is certainly different in its approach to forum software, but very easy to customise

 

I dont like vanilla much, The look and feel is great, But there trying to reinvent something thats already been invented, Its crap lol people are so used to NORMAL forum layouts... why change?

  • 2 weeks later...

I dont like vanilla much, The look and feel is great, But there trying to reinvent something thats already been invented, Its crap lol people are so used to NORMAL forum layouts... why change?

That's like saying everyone's used to windows XP so microsoft shouldn't make a better operating system. Vanilla takes the problem of organising and presenting a discussion board and gives it a fresh, user-friendly focus and interface. I think it's a refreshing and much needed change.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.