Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Requesting critics

Featured Replies

Hi there,

 

I´m in need for some constructive critics for my website as freelance artist.

 

The page is still WIP. http://www.geissinger-design.de/

 

All critics are welcome, no need to be over polite, I´m used to it :)

 

But please no critics on the following things:

- the 3D art/images itself

- invalid html/css (will be corrected when the page is finished)

- browser incompatibility, so far Firefox 3+. Opera 9+, IE8+ should be good to go, other browsers again will be fixed once the page is finished

 

Excuses for english language glitches (here and on the website), english´s not my mother tongue.

 

Cheers, microBlonk

 

edit: Sorry, just saw that sites with commercial interest are not welcome in this forum, feel free to move the topic if necessary.

 

@forum admin: I tried to register before with the name "Blonk" but never got an confirmation email. That account can be deleted.

Hallo,

Not bad. But the logo stands out of style. I guess it would be better to render it, for instance, transparent, crystal-clear, smooth, shining like a drop on the leaf – in short, "aqua-stylish" or something like that.

  • Author

Thanks Lev. A transparent logo is a great idea, I´ll give it a try.

  • Author

I changed the logo to glass. It wasn´t easy to actually make it visible, in front of the blurry background it didnt look good either, so I added some more grass. Have a look again, if you like.

I think the "Geissinger Design" should be in capital letters.

  • Author

Thanks Enthused, do you have a suggestion for a different font in addition?

  • Author

The page is now finished, have a look again if you like.

 

- I completely changed the home-page and added a new footer.

 

- html is valid

 

- Did some small IE7 and webkit fixes, those are still in the main.css, so the css aint valid yet.

 

- IE6 users get an update notice

 

Guess I´ll have to do some more SEO stuff, correct language / typos and redo the text logo once I get a good inspiration.

 

All C&C welcome.

I like it - I think the company name text, etc. looks really nice but the logo still needs some work.

 

The design feels very "fresh", with the bright greens, etc but i'm not really too sure about the grey - there's quite a lot of it (especially in the footer) and do you really need that massive tree image down in the footer?? It doesn't really seem to fit with the design.

 

Other than that, well done indeed!!

Hello. Good job.

 

Some little remarks:

 

  1. I think it would be better to align block Language selection to the right.
  2. IMHO, such design is more natural (of course, I could be wrong).
  3. Increased gap between the text and bottom of the page looks neater.

geissinger.png

 

Hope that helps.

  • Author

@invisibleinkweb

 

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, the footer is very (boring) standard that´s why I tried to incorporate the "natural design" and the tree. I also did this to build a connection between the background image and the rest of the page.

More about the tree, see Lev´s post and my answer to it.

 

@Lev

Thanks muchly for the effort. Your proposals are very good and I will incorporate 1. and 2. just as you showed. I´m not sure about 3., but will give it a try.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

I applied some of the suggestions and played around with the logo / header text for another two hours. Still I feel there´s no balance in that section.

 

Would be nice if you could take another look and tell me some.

I think it looks good, there are only a couple of things I would change. I would align the site logo to the left of the page rather than have it centred.

 

Also I think the navbar needs some work. The gradient causing the curved effect doesn't really fit the rest of the site. Either try and use a subtler gradient or have the navigation bar the same flat colour as the footer.

 

Speaking of which, you can fill the footer with contact info, site map links, copyright info and validation links.

sorry short and to the point!

 

- Align the logo to the left.

- Spend some time creating a brand.

- Make the favicon and background relevant

 

Fantastic 3D work by the way :)

  • Author

Thanks for your critics & compliments.

 

The logo now is on the left, I made a new menu and redid the text logo.

 

It feels like I´m almost there, but the text logo still isn´t satisfying and feels a little misplaced. With the new menu there now is slightly more balance, but still some agitation (<- is that the right word?) in the header section overall.

 

I changed the favicon to green. Maybe you have to clear the browser cache to see the new one (I had to in opera)

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.