Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Frames , AP Elements ?

Featured Replies

hi

 

What is the difference between frames and ap elements? Or is it maybe the same thing? What should a man use to lay out the page at the start?

 

tnx in advance

 

♥ & ☮ 4 u & me 2 b ☺

What is the difference between frames and ap elements? Or is it maybe the same thing? What should a man use to lay out the page at the start?

 

Hi,

 

Absolute Positioned means elements such as divs that are given absolute positioning :)

 

Frames are a way of creating a site using a collection of html files. For example you might have a menu frame on the left vertically (menu.html) and your main page on the right (index.html) and your header up the top (header.html).

 

Personally, I'd recommend never to use frames unless you really, really had to for some reason. They are bad in so many ways. :pp

 

If you use Dreamweaver, learn XHTML, CSS and using only 'code view' lay your site out using div tags and CSS to postion and style them.

  • Author

thank you :) that was some long wait! :)

 

I still don't totally get it ... I mean I know what both are, but still can't get the difference. as far as I can see you can do the same things with both.. only that AP elements as divs are more easy to handle trough CSS? :) I hope I'll learn more about that topic soon :)

thank you :) that was some long wait! :)

 

I still don't totally get it ... I mean I know what both are, but still can't get the difference. as far as I can see you can do the same things with both.. only that AP elements as divs are more easy to handle trough CSS? :) I hope I'll learn more about that topic soon :)

 

Hi,

 

They are very different. I explained it the best I could.

 

Have a read here for frames: Frames

 

Have a read here for div tags: DIVS

 

After understanding the two and why they are different, stay away from frames! :good:

  • Author

hehe.. okay! thank you alot again! :)

  • Author

this last one was exeptional! tnx

  • Author

hi.. i've been looking over the internet for some time now and I find all the different answers so I thought I'd try here.. I think you'll be more help to me as you were untill now :)

 

soo... how should I position my div's when doing a layout so that they won't stack one over another when people look at it in different resolution sizes?

 

I tried

 

div style="position:absolute;"

but this one only stacks them one over another.. then if I float them I'm afraid they would jump one over another if some narows the browser?

So my main concern is that the divs would stay in the same place at resizing the browser...

 

otherwise I have a question that goes well in this topic to I think:

 

Do you think I should give sizes to my div's in % ... I've been thinking a lot about it and I can see that most of people describe putting them in px in tutorials.. but is that really the right way to make a users experience the same as mine is when I'm browsing the page?

 

I'm mostly concerned because I use a TV that's pretty big for my computer screen so I'm affraid I might see things totally different then other people will :S

 

thanks for the answers again... :)

 

Finally I have my siganture :))) It makes me happy :)

You probably want to add

clear:both;

to the css which relates to the div you want to be postitioned under the previous divs - hope that makes sense!! :)

  • Author

it does.. I found that just a few minutes ago on w3school :) but all this stuff is really confusing.. :) tnx for your help!

No problem - glad you got it sorted!!

  • Author

hehe still didn't get it sorted :D but I'm trying :))

Do you have a url to the site? Is it online?

  • Author

no.. I'm a real begginer... just studying the code now and trying it out part by part for now.. I think I'll start designing the page in a couple of days..

How are the divs to be positioned? How many of them run horizontally & vertically?

soo... how should I position my div's when doing a layout so that they won't stack one over another when people look at it in different resolution sizes?

 

Have a look at this:-

http://www.wickham43.com/forumposts/b5floats101012.html

It has width: 100% and three floated divs side by side that won't stack over each other when the screen resolution is reduced.

 

It has two sets of three floated divs separated by a "clear" div to clear the floats.

 

Hope that gives you some idea.

  • Author

this one was great, deserved a vote :) tnx!

 

now I have one more question.. can you make the divs behave like frames only by html and css.. like if i'd have a

 

div ID navBar

and

div ID cont

 

could I click on the links in navBar div so that content would appear in cont div, without the navbar having to load again?

 

Is it right if I try it with editable regions in a layout and then just make the cont div an editable region? is that possible to do in a simple code?

 

sorry if I'm being annoying.. I'm just thinking about things ahead while I'm starting it up, and then I have to ask, so I won't fall out of what I'm learing at the moment :)

 

tnx for answers

  • Author

and one more if anyone might come back :))

 

is an iframe same thing as a frame? not suggested for usage? :)

is an iframe same thing as a frame? not suggested for usage? :)

 

Essentially, yes. A frameset is the whole page with frames in it and an iframe is really a frame in a normal html page.

For SEO it's the same, search engines don't read what's in the frame or iframe, especially if you have different links targetted to the same iframe. The search engine only reads the other page content outside the iframe.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.