Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Which web host do I use?

Featured Replies

Hi,

 

I'm using a Mac laptop to try and design a website using Wordpress but have no idea if picking a specific webhost is important or not?

 

I have ZERO experience so please help!!

I'm going to be as impartial as I can in my answer. Word press actually recommend some webhosts for their software so you could look at those but I suspect you might pay a little over the odds. Basically you need to think about what your needs are, for word press you need some php hosting with a mysql database, in terms of space anything over 500mb is indulgent. In terms of bandwidth, really you need to think about how popular your blog will be, to begin with 1gb a month is more than enough. To conserve this you can host any video content on a major video sharing site and embed it in your blog (this is relatively simple) this will save some bandwidth if the content is video heavy.

 

The best way to find what you are looking for is to read around or get a recommendation.

Just to echo padioland, you just need to select any webhost that supports PHP / MySQL. I use a webhost that charges £25 per year, but you can even find cheaper hosts than that.

I use Fasthosts and personally think they are fantastic. If you need asp/php etc you just select a checkbox (FOC) and the database option from my memory is £25p/a.

 

Couldn't recommend them highly enough!

Well I'm gonna be straight and say that by far the best host I've ever used is Bluehost, in fact I liked them so much I became an affiliate! They are just rock solid reliable and offer 24/7 personalised support. Not to mention great performance (probably the most important factor for me), unlimited space and domains, traffic analysis tools, I could go on. I'm not saying that there is no one better but certainly no one I've had experience with.

 

Could I ask you a favour though and say that if you do decide to go with them that you remember me and do it through my link? I get $65 for it you see :p I would be very grateful and help you out with other queries you might have :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.