Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Please let me know what you think

Featured Replies

Hi, I have designed a landing page (this is just the basic layout without links etc...), I want to know what you all think, also for some reason it will not currently work in IE6 or IE7 can anyone see why?

 

http://www.childrenspartiesharrogate.co.uk

 

I am quite new to all this, just getting my head around it all, so no mean comments please :)

 

Many thanks

 

James

Hi Sturg_Clan,

 

Personally i'm not a lover of the colour... in my browser I have to scroll to the right to see the listed bullets down the side.. you need to try and fit it in a width of about 800 pixels as this would fit in most users screens.

 

Your bulk of text towards the end of the page could do with having some space so it dosn't hug the edge of the box.

 

I know I'm just being picky but in your image of the boy down the left - when the images end you can just see the top of his hair where it has been cropped? Also there is a little black dot in your header (above the "r").

 

I'm no way an expert but thought i'd pass on my opinion :good:

 

I'm sure once you have made a couple of changes it will look a lot better.

  • Author

Great Feedback JamesU,

 

I know all of those issues, and am sorting out, just really wanted opinion on the IE6/IE7 problem.

 

Regarding the colours, I am trying to keep in wit the brand, do you think they are really offputting?

 

Many thanks

 

James (Sturg_Clan)

 

Hi Sturg_Clan,

 

Personally i'm not a lover of the colour... in my browser I have to scroll to the right to see the listed bullets down the side.. you need to try and fit it in a width of about 800 pixels as this would fit in most users screens.

 

Your bulk of text towards the end of the page could do with having some space so it dosn't hug the edge of the box.

 

I know I'm just being picky but in your image of the boy down the left - when the images end you can just see the top of his hair where it has been cropped? Also there is a little black dot in your header (above the "r").

 

I'm no way an expert but thought i'd pass on my opinion :good:

 

I'm sure once you have made a couple of changes it will look a lot better.

You could try looking at some design gallery's for ideas, play around with a better layout for the site and minimise the yellow. try looking at cssmania.com .

 

It doesn't have to be complicated, a simple top strip in yellow, may be a large image and then layout the text a bit more.

Not sure about off-putting but it's very much in your face when you open the page. Might not be to everyone's likening. But I understand about the branding - that's obviously very important.

 

I've look at the website in firefox, IE7 and Chrome. They load on all and look the same.... Only thing i noticed that in Chrome the "Submit Form" button is cut in half.

 

What is the problem you are having in IE?

 

Cheers

 

James (ps. good name by the way :D )

There are two things which really need to change on this site in my opinion. One is the header text - is there any need for it to be an image? Rendering text as images is not very good practice and is usually only done when an unusual font or text effect is used. Your text has slightly distorted edges (see that weird pixellated edge around the letters). Secondly I do think the yellow is too overpowering. If the brand requires yellow, maybe you can use it as an accent rather than a background colour.

 

I would also look at the width of the page. The smallest resolution that's in regular use these days is 1024x768px so you'll find that most web designers who create fixed width sites tend to go for a width of 960px (or under 1000px - don't make the width 1024px because if the page is longer than the screen height, the scroll bar will mean the page no longer fits horizontally, and a horizontal scroll bar will appear.)

 

Good luck with it :)

The whole design with those repeating side images brings me back to the 90s without giving me a nostalgic retro feeling.

 

I'm kind of missing some wacky javascript madness and animated gif mayhem from your site. If you added that it would be bang on 90s.

 

I actually found a good implementation with your colour...http://www.nikonfestival.com/ and http://www.champagnewarehouse.com/

The key is structured content.

  • Author

Thanks guys, I'm really pleased with the feedback.

 

I never expected to get it right forst time. Back to the drawing board :)

 

I will let you know when I have the next update.

 

Thanks again

 

James

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.