Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Need solid website feedback

Featured Replies

Hello WDF,

 

Besides doing freelance work under my name [Michal Kopanski], I've been working under the name 6outof5 ( hopefully will find a few people to team up with! :friends: ) for a couple of months now, but don't have a functional website up yet! I think you'll agree that it has do be done ASAP!

 

Without further ado, below are attached screenshots of the design (still in photoshop, so changes should be fairly easy!). I would really appreciate honest, cruel, blunt, frank, or any other kind of feedback.

 

BUT WAIT!!! I'll tell you what! Everyone* that comments, will get a PSD of the page of their choosing! (just need to clean up the layers a little) That's right, if you can provide valuable feedback, I will send you the original PSD.

 

* Everyone = people who provide actual constructive feedback/criticism.

 

Still haven't done the about page, or the contact page, but those are usually ones I slap together once I have the HTML/CSS handy.

 

Anyways, here we go!

 

Index Page:

 

post-9028-126028934094_thumb.png

 

[Our] Work Page:

 

post-9028-126028937389_thumb.png

 

Single Piece:

 

post-9028-12602894046_thumb.png

 

Blog:

 

post-9028-126028943425_thumb.png

If we all got a different PSD each, then we could get together and make the full website! :lol:

 

I think the header is great, it's eye-catching, it's slick and it's just really well designed.

The content area looks a bit naff right now, but might look better with more content. I'd say you need an intermediate stage, between the header and the main content. Possibly a light grey or blue, which will help the transition from header to the white content block - right now it's like a massive jump...

 

Can't say I'm too fond of the green contact block either, the colour just hits the eye (and not in a good way).

 

Footer is really well designed, and I'm liking the embedded logo in the corner.

 

Portfolio page is perfect to me - I like the fact it's so simple so that the attention goes to the work you're displaying rather than to its surroundings.

 

On the single piece I'd reduce the image size so that I could get some text next to it, and then you could show the full size image using a lightbox effect instead.

 

The blog design is nice but the red links don't work too well, and the green contact block is there too, which I don't like. The continue reading button is too light and almost difficult to make out what it says.

  • Author

@MrBrightside - Haha, with enough man power, you could probably finish it before I can!

 

Thanks for all the advice. The things you pointed out are exactly the things I wasn't sure about, but now that there are two heads on this, I will make some adjustments.

 

I have to admit, I couldn't seem to find a way to make the home page flow from the hero, to the content, and on the other hand, I have no idea what kind of content to add there!

 

The green... I figured it would be an incentive to contact us? Would you think an orange would work better?

 

Was thinking of making the 'continue reading' link have a black background like the post meta, but then people will think the meta is a link... :bangb:

 

And about the single piece, the lightbox is so web 2.0! :pp

 

I'll see what I can do! :santa_cool:

 

BTW, do you want a PSD?

Personally I'd stick to the green over orange! Try editing the font colour instead - the white doesn't work on the green. If you're still not happy, then try orange.

 

For the continue reading button you don't need a massive change, maybe a slightly stronger border, and/or make the text a bit darker (not much), just so it's easier to read.

 

The lightbox suggestion was just so you could still display the full size image AND have some of project details at the top. An alternative would be a transparent overlay at the top of the image with some details.

 

No thanks, no need for PSD! Thanks for the offer though :)

Sorry no contructive points here - i agree with what mr brightside has already posted.

 

It's looking really good mate.

Cant wait to see it in action.

 

Good luck

  • Author

@MrBrightside - I'll play around with it, and post an update then. Thanks!

 

@welshhuw - Thanks bud! By the way, congrats on the web design job! :clapping:

  • Author

No one else would care to share their thought? I thought the PSD would provide some sort of motivation. I would really appreciate it!

 

I've made some minor adjustments: You can see all the pages as follows:

 

Home Page: http://www.6outof5.com/design-preview/

 

Home Page v2: http://www.6outof5.com/design-preview/?indexv2 - Changed the background color and font colors of the 'contact box'.

 

[Our] Work Page: http://www.6outof5.com/design-preview/?work

 

Single Project: http://www.6outof5.com/design-preview/?single - Still working on the changes.

 

Blog Page: http://www.6outof5.com/design-preview/?blog

 

Blog Page v2: http://www.6outof5.com/design-preview/?blogv2 - Changed the background color and font colors of the 'contact box'. Changed the link colors in the 'most meta', and darkened up the 'continue reading' link.

 

FEEDBACK APPRECIATED!!! :drinks:

Well I think it looks pretty nice - not much to change in my opinion. But I don't get it - why would we want a PSD of your site? Its nice and all, but I don't need a copy myself! :santa_cool:

  • Author

Thanks mrchristoph!

 

Well I like to be very open-source with all my stuff, and let's be honest, not everyone is a "Photoshop Expert", and so if you see an effect that you like, and are curious how it was done, or like how neatly its aligned or w/e you can see my layer styles and guides!

 

That's something you simply cannot see from the screenies. :yahoo:

The blue contact box is a massive improvement. Looks much better than the green, and the font colour suits it too.

Blue links on the blog seem to work well, complimenting the contact box.

 

The continue reading button is good - it doesn't stand out to distract the users attention, but is right there waiting for when the user finishes reading the article and can't be missed!

 

On the homepage try adding some proper content under the boxes, and see how it looks. I think if you just add a border image under those three boxes it would work well.

 

Looks great now, and can't find anything worth changing. Can't wait to see this coded up.

  • Author

Thanks MrBrighside!

 

Even though I probably wouldn't if it was up to me, I'll add some content under the 3 boxes. Just not fond on what to put there.

 

I'll probably start coding it tomorrow. Will update you on that!

 

Thanks again! :pp

I like the subject chosen, however this layout doesn't seem to fit it; the potential is there but it just doesn't have that club/dance music feel to it. I need to see more in the header that says hey, this is a dance-music website

  • Author

I'm sorry, but are you talking about the hero with the daily-electro banner in it? That's the "latest projects section". This is daily electro.

i'm speaking of your index page as a whole, it feels like there's more you can do to make this website feel like you're on it for some good dance tunes

hey your design looks great.. wish i could design something like that someday.. I am not expert in web designing..

  • Author

@PhilDesigns - This website is not for dance tunes! Hehe, this is my soon-to-come web design firm. The Daily Electro is a project of mine which will launch on 01.01.2010! If you'd like I can post a screen shot, and you will see it definitely has the "get good electro house music from here" feel to it. :santa_cool:

 

@Lucasferrera - Thanks a lot bud! Practice makes perfect!

Good design.

 

I do not understand the purpose, sense, destination of gray triangles on the left top and right bottom corners of the Intro block ('We are samll new media...'). I`d remove all the shadows under this block and under Blog and Contact too for to watch what if it could look better.

 

And I`d align vertical 'to perfection and beyond' and nav. menu vertically to the empty space between Client login bar and the "latest projects section banner.

 

Hope it helps.

 

PS: What if to add skewed corners to the prev works banner?

  • 5 weeks later...
  • Author

Thanks for all the feedback! Here's the homepage, all marked up. Please let me know if there's any browser compatibility issues (screenshots would be perfect!).

 

I'm aware that for some weird reason the 'client login' button breaks into two lines in Opera on Mac OS X. If anyone knows of a way to fix it, please let me know! :wacko:

 

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

 

Cheers!

  • Author

850 views, but only 18 comments!? Is it me, or is this forum broken??? 888

  • Author

@mrchristoph - Thanks! Cheers!

 

Anyone else?

 

Does anyone know how to fix that Opera (Mac OS X) problem?

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.