Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Slicing, XHTML/CSS

Featured Replies

I've got some lynda tutorials and CSS: The Missing Manual, should I jump straight into PSD to XHTML online tutorials or continue learning xhtml and CSS from scratch?

 

Ideally I'd like to design layouts in Photoshop and code it all myself.

 

Thanks

 

Mike

my advice if you want to learn css inside out is to attempt to make a good looking site with just css before you even touch photoshop.

 

it will push you learn everything there is to css and then in turn make the transition to photoshop based design much smoother as you'll have a stronger understanding of how your graphic concept will work in the real world.

  • Author

Thanks for the reply,

 

I'm not that far away from you, I'm in Wrexham :D

 

my advice if you want to learn css inside out is to attempt to make a good looking site with just css before you even touch photoshop.

 

it will push you learn everything there is to css and then in turn make the transition to photoshop based design much smoother as you'll have a stronger understanding of how your graphic concept will work in the real world.

When I got in to CSS - moving from table based design - I found it so much easier just to design the site purely in CSS and XHTML.

 

I've tried designing layouts in Illustrator and Photoshop first but personally I found it an unnecessary step. I prefer literally sketching a layout on a piece of A4 and then, usually starting with a similar layout that I've produced before and adapting those files to the new layout design.

 

Of course Photoshop is essential in preparing images, cropping, retouching, optimising for the web but not for designing layouts though in my view.

 

Another advantage of working in the way I do is that any bugs or cross browser issues become apparent as you go along and therefore quicker to iron out.

 

But each to their own eh!

 

Jo

 

Wrexham, not far from Pen-y-cae neither ;-)

  • Author

Not far at all! Can you show me any examples of sites that are purely XHTML and CSS?

 

Cheers

www.arecadesign.co.uk

 

I didn't design this site really but I did build it from top to bottom. The original layout was designed by the MD of the company . . .'nuff said.I had to work within that layout.

 

Check out the web portfolio.

 

I'm not perfect but I've developed some style and technique I think.

 

Maybe rely to much on Flash elements too . . . . . . but my clients keep asking for it!!

 

Any constructive feedback welcome.

Not far at all! Can you show me any examples of sites that are purely XHTML and CSS?

 

Cheers

 

Free Basic CSS Layouts

 

Have a look there, they aren't "pretty" designs I made them simply to show how to go about creating different types of layouts using css. Hope they are of some help, as you can look at the code and play about with them to see how different things effect the layouts :)

I disagree with photoshop not being used a web-design tool; I personally design all of my websites in photoshop first to get an understanding of the layout and see how it will function before I make it function, After that I slice it up and ready it for code; this is how you produce captivating websites, you excel in the design portion and and follow up with smooth, easy function. There are many designers who use my method, and from what I have seen produce some outstanding work.

I agree there are many designers who use photoshop for their initial layout design and it's down to what you prefer.

 

One bad practice that I've noticed with doing that though, and it's probably a legacy from tabled based design days, is that when the layout is sliced I've often seen images included in layouts that really have no need to be there.

 

I think it can be too tempting to achieve effects with images when something equally pleasing can be achieved with pure css - for example if you look at the work produced by Stu Nichols at CSS play and CSSzengarden, I'd be interested to know if they used sliced up layouts from photoshop.

 

But as I said before, each to their own.

Like i said to a friend, have ago building a website, you can not go wrong!!! :) its the only good way to learn... make mistakes.. and learn from them

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.