Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

SEO nightmares

Featured Replies

Hi guys,

 

Is there anything on my site that I am doing wrong or is this just a very competitive market.

 

I have been working on this website recently for a client and I just don't seem to be getting anywhere! I have put in everything I can, it is listed on quite a few indexing sites. If I search MT Finance in google the whois comes up before the site :s why is the site so low in the ranks!

 

Mt Finance

 

Any advice on getting this higher would be great.

First problem is that the site is hosted in Germany. Do this search on google.com, google.co.uk and google.de...

 

site:mt-finance.com

 

See the difference?

 

To try an solve this login to Google Webmaster Tools and set a target country for the site.

 

Next step, you have identical meta description on every page, they need to be different on each page!

Edited by BlueDreamer

  • Author

First problem is that the site is hosted in Germany. Do this search on google.com, google.co.uk and google.de...

 

site:mt-finance.com

 

See the difference?

 

To try an solve this login to Google Webmaster Tools and set a target country for the site.

 

Next step, you have identical meta description on every page, they need to be different on each page!

 

 

This is great info thanks

Hi,

 

Looks like you are trying to get positioning for keywords around "bridging finance loan"

 

Just checked out a few sites for you and you should be getting around 180 uniques a day for top google positions ;) What I saw is all organic traffic no ppc or strong link referals.

 

You need to research a few more key phrases, you seem to be missing a few...

 

The site I just ripped to pieces has 46 pages against your 10.

 

Build more content and add a few long tails.

 

You need some decent back links my friend.

 

Check out your page urls's: http://www.mt-finance.com/first.html You could use something like: http://www.mt-finance.com/bridging_finance_loans.html

 

BlueDreamer is spot on with the meta, titles are also weak.

 

Needs a little work but top of first page google is certainly reachable.

 

Hope this helps.

  • Author

This is all great help.

 

I will be renaming the pages including bridging finance. Just out of interest what makes my meta tags (keywords, title, description) weak? Is it because they are the same, what makes a stronger title? Do I need to mention keywords in the title?

 

I thought that meta tags played very little part in SEO now :s or is this another SEO myth!

Having identical meta descriptions on every page is no use to anyone. Search engines often use these as the description text that accompanies search results, and people frequently use these to decide whether they click your link or not.

 

Meta descriptions should always reflect the content of the page, my normal approach is to write a carefully precised version of the page content - in other words tell the user what they can expect to see on the page in 160 characters.

 

The meta keywords tag is more or less redundant now, I haven't used it for many years now with no detrimental effects :)

 

Page titles are arguably the single most important part of your page so far as search engines go. Like meta descriptions they should reflect the content of the page so the user knows what to expect if they click through. The normal "formula" I've always used is...

 

Page description | Section name | Site name

 

...remember, the more informative the title (and meta description) the more chance of people noticing it.

Edited by BlueDreamer

  • Author

This is great information, I will make a load of changes and post back when this is done. I really appreciate the help guys.

  • Author

OK guys I have made quite a lot of changes, are the descriptions and things getting stronger.

 

I think I have better titles and these relate to H1 tags. The descriptions are also unique to each page. The page names are also much stronger as instructed.

 

Can anyone see anything that needs to be done???

 

Your help has been awesome so far. The only thing I cannot get is more content at the mo, I will ask my client for more, however I will need to make do with what I have for now.

  • Jo 90 locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.