Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How do you finish the jobs you hate?

Featured Replies

You know when you get those jobs, once you've started it you find you really don't like it, you have absolutely no inspiration to keep going with it and keep finding anything to do but that job... how do you motivate yourself to get stuck and just get it done?

I have a few like that, I usually spend the time and go beyond what they asked and kind of do what I would like to see, not just what they want. I know what you mean when you get a client who wants such a rubbish site when you have the potential to make something awesome.

 

Also,

gets me though the bad jobs. lol

No idea... but if you find the answer let me know! :lol:

 

All I try to do is think "Right... the sooner I get this done, the sooner I can get onto the next thing".

 

I've just put a big whiteboard up that lists all the jobs I've got on. When you see it like that it becomes a lot 'realer'. I write everything in order according to a 'time/cash' priority and then, here's a little tip, when you complete one... don't rub it out - strike it through (until you run out of room). That way you see you're getting somewhere.

 

With the kind of jobs you're talking about you'll get fed-up of seeing them on your board surrounded by strikethroughs and it really helps motivate you to cross it of the list.

 

Or... simply replace your website and email autoresponder to "Gone Fishing" and disappear for a while! :lol:

  • Author

I've just put a big whiteboard up that lists all the jobs I've got on. When you see it like that it becomes a lot 'realer'. I write everything in order according to a 'time/cash' priority and then, here's a little tip, when you complete one... don't rub it out - strike it through (until you run out of room). That way you see you're getting somewhere.

I kind if do that, I have a book to write in the To Do list for the week, remind myself what's still on the go (or what I've forgotten about) and cross them off as I go. I like the whiteboard idea, we used to do that in my old employer's office, which also worked well - never thought of doing it at home.
Or... simply replace your website and email autoresponder to "Gone Fishing" and disappear for a while! :lol:
Though unfortunately that would frighten the good jobs away!

I just think about the outstanding 50% and that normally spurs me on :)

Usually I'm trying to think like my customers about project, my service and expectations. When I do that, I feel more responsible about my job and service. This is obviously motivates me, love or hate either way as a professional job should be done in time with quality.

I just think about the outstanding 50% and that normally spurs me on :)

 

^^ What she said!

I just bite my lip and finish it. There's nothing more I can do. Afterwards I will probably approach the client and inform them that I will no longer be providing my service to them but give them a few email addresses, numbers and websites of other freelance designers/developers who would be able to maintain the site in the future.

  • 1 month later...

I have noticed since i started my apprenticeship that with most sites i make, i hit a dead point. It could be the best website in the world for me to make but at the end of the day, it does get annoying lol

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.