Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The rules of making a logo!

Featured Replies

When it comes to making a logo, we all like different things but what are the things that should be the considerations when planning your logo design?

 

Your logo should:

 

  • Be in eye catching colours
  • Look as good printed as it does on the screen
  • Look good in both colour and greyscale
  • Possibly have an icon that can be used on it's own to represent your logo independently

 

There are many factors in designing a logo but these are the general guidelines I tend to stick to.

 

Some logo's I like are the following:

 

logo.gif

 

2logo.gif

 

logo.gif

 

They all follow those rules.

 

So what am I really going on about?

 

Well... I want one (or more) of you Genius graphic designers to design us a logo for the following new Shopping Price Comparison Website:

 

PriceSpin.com

 

Please paste your logos below, and let's see what fantastic designs you guys can come up with?

  • Author

So I'm kind of playing with these ideas:

post-8443-1227654279_thumb.png

 

and

 

post-8443-1227654287_thumb.png

 

To be honest, I don't like where I'm going with them.

 

My imagination is just not working today!

 

Any ideas anyone?

1) if it's the actual pricespin.com, then bugger that, I don't work for free :p

2) If it's a made up company called that, there's not enough information to be going on with. What do they do? Who's the target? and so on..

2s19hk8.png

 

 

If you aren't actually trying to get a free logo out of people, then I apologize for my ridiculous image. All in good fun :)

1) if it's the actual pricespin.com, then bugger that, I don't work for free :p

2) If it's a made up company called that, there's not enough information to be going on with. What do they do? Who's the target? and so on..

Aw Bumfluff you had to go and mention that a logo must be based on an understanding of the business it's for. Now come on, logos are about cool fonts, abstract vectors and pretty colours... you know that! :acute:

And what's that "no spec" link in your sig? :lol:

Aw Bumfluff you had to go and mention that a logo must be based on an understanding of the business it's for. Now come on, logos are about cool fonts, abstract vectors and pretty colours... you know that! :acute:

 

sshh! Those are the secrets to my success, don't just give them away!

Ohh :( here was me think this was going to be a helpful thread. an insight into how to make a good logo, what to do and what is important.

 

So is this a way to get a free logo designed for you, or was it just for fun?

But I had just prepared a logo with reflected text, swirls and loads of filters <_<

 

In all honesty though

I thought exactly like bumfluff (I too googled pricespin!)

  • Author

Just to clear this up.

 

It does say in the first post:

 

...you Genius graphic designers to design us a logo for the following new Shopping Price Comparison Website:

 

PriceSpin.com

 

Does this not indicate that it is a future project?

 

I thought it would be something fun for you guys to get involved with. If someone came up with something that we used then we would obviously pay for it. (And give a link etc etc)

 

There's no need to be so sarcastic, a simple "Is this a paid exercise?" would have been sufficient.

 

(Although I did laugh when I say that image)

 

So, on a lighter note, does anyone want to get involved and have a go at this?

I thought exactly like bumfluff

 

I worry about you sometimes ;)

There's no need to be so sarcastic, a simple "Is this a paid exercise?" would have been sufficient.

 

It would have been sufficient, but why not go the extra mile.

 

There should have been a cat somewhere on that image too.

  • 3 weeks later...

5 golden rules of successful logo design

 

1: Avoid complicated or detailed pictures

 

Complex images look great on well-printed letterheads, but logo designs like this never survive in small-space press advertisements or on promotional goods. If you want to be recognised instantly, avoid too much detail.

2: Avoid complicated themes

 

Your customers will not take the time to interpret or decode a complicated subject, theme or pun. Don’t waste their time or yours with a challenging logo design.

3: If you have an unusual name...

 

If you have an unusual name, this will prove memorable by itself, so don’t confuse the issue with a complex logo design.

4: If you have a common or not so memorable name...

 

(Assuming you don’t wish to change it!) Bring it to life with a highly distinctive symbol or typographic treatment.

5: Brand values

 

Really communicate with your customers by defining your core proposition to them and ensure your logo design expresses these values clearly.

@Harish: Wowzer, someone actually posted something sensible. Mind you, I can understand the derision at the cheese. lol I opened this thread because I thought it would be a genuine one about logo design, which would have useful, only to discover that it was actually made to try and blag one by some wanna be outfit called threadspin.......oooooops, I meant pricespin, whatever. It's some kinda spin anyway shall we say. ;) ha ha

  • 3 weeks later...
5 golden rules of successful logo design

 

1: Avoid complicated or detailed pictures

 

Complex images look great on well-printed letterheads, but logo designs like this never survive in small-space press advertisements or on promotional goods. If you want to be recognised instantly, avoid too much detail.

2: Avoid complicated themes

 

Your customers will not take the time to interpret or decode a complicated subject, theme or pun. Don’t waste their time or yours with a challenging logo design.

3: If you have an unusual name...

 

If you have an unusual name, this will prove memorable by itself, so don’t confuse the issue with a complex logo design.

4: If you have a common or not so memorable name...

 

(Assuming you don’t wish to change it!) Bring it to life with a highly distinctive symbol or typographic treatment.

5: Brand values

 

Really communicate with your customers by defining your core proposition to them and ensure your logo design expresses these values clearly.

 

This is a rule I know from a video tutorial:

 

6. Keep the text togheter, so reduce the space between letters. This is a typography rule. Also, like on the 2nd logo of Avera's 1st post, there has to be some difference between the company name and description (The UK's... etc) The difference there is that the description is in all caps and the name is not. This probably makes the name stand out, and it makes the logo look way better.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.