Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

1st Aid 4u

Featured Replies

Hi everyone,

 

Here is a site i have basically finished designing for a friend who runs a 1st aid training company. just a couple of notes, i will be changing the photos to ones i have copyright for before launching the site and I agree the top banner isn't ground breaking.

 

 

http://mayhem-inc.com/1staid4u/index.html

 

 

Thanks

It's not uninspiring at all, it's just that it looks to have been created on something like Microsoft Powerpoint. Can I just ask what software you used to design the website?

  • Author

:lol:

 

thanks!

 

I used illustrator and dreamweaver, seriously tho, i couldnt think of a way to make it look interesting at all. im not sure if ur saying it look amaturish or if it looks so good it should be a template.

 

What is wrong with it? what would you change?

It's ok, I don't dislike if that's any help :) ....... I know what you mean about making it look interesting. I think there are certain businesses that are hard to design for. I did one for a fork lift truck training company. It was so hard!

 

You could maybe try doing something with the header..... it is a bit bland.

 

I think the colour is fitting - very "paramedic" green.

Sorry I can't offer up anything more constructive.

I just think there's not much to review. Theres nothing wrong with the website, but it just feels unfinished and empty.

 

I get that its a hard sector to design for, but how about looking at http://www.firstaid4sport.co.uk/ They seem to do it well, type in first aid into google and you get a variety of sites, and they have done with the designs.

 

Also, not sure whether its because im view on 1024 x 768, but there seems to be a random layer of green to the bottom right, with some images in? Just really out of place..

 

The colours that you've used invoke a sense of first aid, and paramedics so well done on that front, stick with hose colours, just try and present the information much better, and maybe have a play around with the navigation

 

All the best :)

You may want to check your site in IE6 - it's a bit all over the place, IE6 renders code so differently to IE7 or Ffox.

 

The greens a good idea by the way as is using images. Have a play with fonts and positioning of things on the page ...

  • Author

Thank you for the feedback, i will be going back to work on the logo, maybe the layout and try and give it a 2008 feel rather than a 1999 feel.

 

While im at it how about reviewing these, Quite a Ball another imaginary site i am making, I know i know tables i will change it to CSS soon and the words dont make sense but what do you think of the layout and look?

 

And finally, this will be my portfolio HEREonly the front page is done and the links wont work, the text will appear under the header.

 

I would love to know where I am going right and wrong, what I should be working on etc.

 

Thank you

 

Andy

it is a bit 1999 I'm sure with a bit of thought you'll get to 2008, I'd bring it to the centre of the page and curve the edges of the green boxes (but thats what i always seem to do.)

:lol:

 

thanks!

 

I used illustrator and dreamweaver, seriously tho, i couldnt think of a way to make it look interesting at all. im not sure if ur saying it look amaturish or if it looks so good it should be a template.

 

What is wrong with it? what would you change?

 

Not even Illustrator and Dreamweaver makes websites that ugly.

 

THE TOOLS OF OUR TRADE ARE...................

 

Our survery says

"PHOTOSHOP"

and

"NOTEPAD"

and

"COFFEE"

and

"craploads of patience with client who change their minds alot".

 

 

http://mayhem-inc.com/1staid4u/firstaidadvice.html

 

The layout completely changed when I clicked a link, we dont do that, we use consistancy throughout a website, keeps visiters calm, they get a grip for the site, they know where everything is, they read the information rather than messing about trying to refind the nav.

 

http://mayhem-inc.com/1staid4u/images/cross.jpg

 

Now cmon, if your going to do something that basic, do it in HTML and CSS its more fun!

 

 

it is a bit 1999
1997, but the buzzwords 1999 yes i know i know... and I agree.
you caught me napping, im in the process of redesigning it.

 

Do you really need the top image to be that big? its soooo big it actully breaks the over the the side of the page, perhaps just float it left and give it some margin love? and make the image the size it only needs to be?

 

 

<title>Untitled Document</title>

Always the classic case of knowing your using a WYSIWYG editor, gross!

 

 

Img ALT Tags, will help your disabled people know what the picture is, or the fat noobs on 14.4kb wap know whats going to load, its also fantastic for SEO.

 

 

A website that small and tiny, still has 3 validation errors, again - WYSIWYG Editors are evil, notepad is your one true love, grab and use it! or use Notepad++ same difference :)

  • Author

yea im using dreamweaver, but im using it to see what im coding not to code what im making. i know about the alt tags, il add them whem im happy that the site is cool. i will validate it soon as well. i hear ya about the size of the head image, il shrink it straight away sir! thank you for taking an interest and for your advice!

  • Author

Ok, so I spent the morning redesigning 1st Aid 4u I would say its basically there. It validates XHTML and CSS however the contact page is causing me some serious stress and is forcing me to consider substance abuse to help me feel happy again. the layout is seriously messed up, the gallery bit has detached itself and decided to hang out at the bottom right of the page. anyone got any ideas?

 

I would say it looks a lot better, the header image is quite big as it includes some gradient and i think it looks good with it.

 

So over to you... again... What are your thoughts???

Thats looking far better than the original design, why not spice up the navigation link a bit possibly position then directly to the right of the first aid cross?

  • Jo 90 locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.