Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

JaCEnt

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by JaCEnt

  1. Nope, more of an intelligent link builder. For instance, if we had an article reviewing a "Ford Focus", any reference to "Ford Focus" in other posts should be linked back to that review. Similar to ; http://www.prelovac.com/products/seo-smart-links/ However I have read some nasty reviews about that one. I.e. Google dont like how it works!
  2. Hi all, we have started to populate our site with content, and wondered if anyone could recommend a automatic link plugin, for us lazy sys-admin bods. Basically, say we have a page called "Website Monitoring" we would like any references of that in other posts to be linked back to the main page, if that make sense? I have seen a couple if suitable plugins out there but both have poor seo reviews. thanks!
  3. Afternoon all, I hope everyone had a great Easter Weekend! I have been working on our new site using 5grid as the framework. I am looking to incorporate a couple of functions which alter the height of the divs they are in; drop-down navigation menu and a FAQ section, for example. Setting such functions up has gone well, however when it comes to expanding them, the content is hidden behind other divs (e.g. not floating on top). I have tried a variety of float and displays as well as z-index however have been unable to come up with a reason why this is happening. If I move the drop-down menu to a blank HTML page, or give the containing div a defined height or something like 500px, it works fine, so I can only assume the 5grid framework is restricting the expansion of the div in some way. Can anyone shed any light on this for me, I would be eternally grateful
  4. Evening all, I have a PHP site (Code Igniter) which is fairly basic, but still contains quite a bit of bespoke code (user registration, admin section - user, item and service management) all querying a backend DB. I would like to convert this to WP for the added functionality of blogging. I assume this is possible for someone with the right skills, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me how difficult this would be, and how many hours I should expect it to take? Unfortunately the current site isn't available to the www yet, so I know this is very much a shot in the dark question!! Thanks
  5. Just put the code back in and its working now....How strange... I must have missed typed something - user error
  6. <form action="" method="post"> <h1>Not a member yet? Sign Up!</h1> <?php if($_SESSION['msg']['reg-err']) { echo '<div class="err">'.$_SESSION['msg']['reg-err'].'</div>'; unset($_SESSION['msg']['reg-err']); } if($_SESSION['msg']['reg-success']) { echo '<div class="success">'.$_SESSION['msg']['reg-success'].'</div>'; unset($_SESSION['msg']['reg-success']); } ?> <label class="grey" for="fullName">Full Name:</label> <input class="field" type="text" name="fullName" id="fullName" value="" size="23" /> <label class="grey" for="company">Company:</label> <input class="field" type="text" name="company" id="company" value="" size="23" /> <label class="grey" for="email">Email:</label> <input class="field" type="text" name="email" id="email" size="23" /> <label>A password will be e-mailed to you.</label> <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Register" class="bt_register" /> </form>
  7. JaCEnt replied to JaCEnt's topic in Frontend
    Thanks Lyndsey, I sussed it out, it was a mixture of the H1 font size and the height of the drop down. (Plus CloudFlare wasnt dropping its cache so my changes werent taking affect!!) Thanks again for your help
  8. JaCEnt replied to JaCEnt's topic in Frontend
    Awesome, thanks Lyndsey! I knew that it would be something simple which I had missed! Also, if you click the top right "Log In | Register", a drop down appears. That too is out of proportion and looks to be as though it is a spacing issue?
  9. JaCEnt posted a topic in Frontend
    Morning everyone, I'm in the process of building a new mock-up site, using a HTML5 template, and I am trying to add a login\registration drop down to my current theme. The code behind the registration system works fine - Unfortunately I have come up against some CSS problems when I try merge the two components together which I have been pondering over for about 5 hours now!! What the page currently looks like; dev jacent net / index php What it should look like (excusing the lack of styling to the content); dev jacent net / index_new php It looks to me that the theme's stylesheets are adding additional styles to the top drop down section, however as that section is within its own div's etc, I'm unsure as how to work around it? Any tips would be appreciated
  10. Sorry, its "Error in query: Resource id #6" I'm still picking up PHP as I go along, I'll look into mysqli
  11. Evening all, I have a PHP\MySQL registration script which I'm looking to amend. Currently you register using your Name, Company Name and Email Address. From there, your username and password are emailed to you. A problem I have come across is anyone can register as the same company and this would prove troublesome for future use. What I am looking to do is query the database and if an entry already exists for that company, die; $company = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['company']); $query= "SELECT * FROM members WHERE company = '$company'"; $result = mysql_query($query) or die ("Error in query: $query " . mysql_error()); $row = mysql_fetch_array($result); $num_results = mysql_num_rows($result); if ($num_results > 0) { $err[]='Your company is already registered, please contact your admin user!'; } However, that is showing a resource error. Can anyone shed any light on what I am doing wrong?
  12. I've sussed it out using a simple PHP line, should have thought about it more before posting lol I would post the line but it wont let me - a google for "php if current page" brought it up for me.
  13. Thanks Andy\SEOLover. PHP will probably be the way to go as for my header I have a li class for the current page - e.g. <li class="current_page">Home</a></li> ... <li>Contact</a></li> (href moved due to my post count!) Is there some funky PHP code which could be used to determine the current page, and apply the class to the correct link?
  14. Morning all, I'm playing around with a new HTML5 website and instead of having to edit my header\footer\nav bar etc on every single page every time I make a change, I wondered if there is an equivalent in HTML5 to that of PHP include? Probably a very daft question which one of you HTML gurus will easily answer Thanks!
  15. Morning, I am looking for a web designer to "develop" our extremely basic current HTML5 website. This seems like a great place to find one, but is there a section of this site where I can post such an ad? The only place I can see is where everyone is offering their services, not the other way around! Apologies if I shouldn't have posted this in General Chat. Thanks
  16. Should you really not want to purchase a domain name, you can pick a random name out of your head, add it as an add-on domain in the hosting company's admin panel, and then point your local hosts file to your hosts IP address for that domain. For example, add anonstestdomain.co.uk as an addon domain, and within C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts on WIndows, or /etc/hosts on *nix add; #YOURHOSTSIP YOURDOMAINNAME 192.168.1.10 anonstestdomain.co.uk This will send all requests for anonstestdomain.co.uk coming from your computer to your hosts IP, which should then be captured by your vhost, and the site wont be accessible to anyone else unless they know your made up domain and hosts IP. Great for testing
  17. Hi ZaLiTH, you are indeed correct. I'm not sure you need your own DNS server, it sounds likes your DNS is already being handled by AfriHost, if your domain is already being pointed to your static IP via their control panel, all you need to do is give IS the IP's of AfriHost's NS servers. This is also a great deal more simpler than setting up (and supporting) your own DNS system. P.S Love your avatar, Day of the Tentacle takes me back
  18. Hi, I know this thread if a few days old, so I'm sorry for bringing it back up if your problem has already been resolved! Assuming you're hosting this site on a linux server, you will need to run something like this to generate a new CSR; openssl req -new -newkey rsa:2048 -nodes -keyout server.key -out server.csr This will generate a new private key "server.key" and a new CSR "server.csr" which you can upload to your SSL provider for them to generate your new cert. Note this is a 2048 RSA request (recommended), which most SSL certs require now. I hope this helps!
  19. Whilst I'm afraid we're unable to assist right at this moment in time, when our site goes live, JaCEnt will be providing fully customisable hosting, in that you will be able to order the exact disk space, bandwidth (to the nearest 1GB) and addons (MySQL DBs, SSL, additional FTP accounts, email etc) you require. So you pay for exactly what you want. Sorry we're not able to assist at this moment in time, but hopefully you can keep us in mind for next time around. (Our site should be live by early December)
  20. Hi all, just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Jamie, Owner, Engineer, Cleaner and Tea Laddy for JaCEnt. Having worked in the hosting and managed service industry for some 10 years, I decided the time was right to join the cut-throat business of web hosting. One of my main reasoning's behind setting up business myself was the exposure I gained to the commercial side of hosting\managed service, I didn't agree with. I didn't agree with the exuberant fees charged for such basic services. As such, I decided to form JaCEnt to provide the exact same level of professional managed service at a snip of the price. Quality over quantity. Initially our product range will include shared, reseller and cloud VPS hosting, however behind the scenes we are currently working extremely hard (that place called home seems a distant memory these days!) on our managed service environment which will include dedicated servers. (All UK based, of course!) A little info on me, I am a RedHat Certified Engineer - working towards Certified Architect, VMWare Certified Advanced Professional, and a NetApp Certified Data Management Administrator. I have spent the past 10 years working for clients such as BBC, ITV, Chanel 4, SKY, William Hills, Paddy Power, NHS, Manchester United and Arsenal FC - the list goes on. Along with a senior WIndows Engineer (MCSE), for those who like all things ASP (yuck), our network engineer (CCIE), and web developer, I'd like to think we make quite a formidable start-up team. Should you decide to place your trust in us, having worked with some of the largest names around, you can rest assured your content would be in very safe hands. I'm hoping to spend some time on the forum (I have a couple of project positions I would like to recruit for), advertise a few introductory offers when the site goes live in the coming weeks, and probably throw a few shameless plugs in along the way If anyone has any questions, or queries regarding our services in the meantime, please feel free to drop me a line. So, that's me. Be gentle!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.