Everything posted by invisibleinkweb
-
IE vs Firefox vs CSS
Ditto above but I don't support IE6 as standard anymore - that costs extra
-
PLEASE someone tell me what I'm doing wrong...
Hi guys, Was wondering whether someone might be able to provide me with a fix for this problem... I'm obviously missing something because I can't, for the life of me, work out why it's happening: I am designing a mock-up site for a company, using a heavily customised Thesis Wordpress theme. The problem is that, on the "News" page, the "ILC Communications" logo (in the top left) disappears completely for some reason (in IE8 - Firefox, etc. is fine with it). I'm not really sure why this is, since the header code is the same I think and the css styling should still apply correctly. The page in question is here: http://www.invisibleinkwebdesigns.com/ilccomms/?page_id=16 but you can see how it's supposed to look on any of the other pages. When you click on the individual news articles, the logo reappears and there's no problem. The news page is listed as the "blog" page obviously, since this is where I want all the news posts to appear. EDIT: It appears to be the "feature_box" div (containing the flash feature thing above the posts) that is causing the problem - if I remove that, it works fine... I'm completely and utterly stumped on this one - if anyone can help at all, I'll love you forever, have your babies, etc. etc. etc.
-
Help! What font is this...?
Nice one mate - you're right - just used the font finder thing - never seen that before and it came straight up with it. Thanks very much though!
-
Help! What font is this...?
Hi guys, Was wondering if anyone could possibly help me. Does anyone know what font it is that I've used in the "Ink" avatar thing (to the left). I did it a while ago and forgot to save a master version of the Illustrator file. It's a bog-standard, unedited (apart from the vertical positions of the letters maybe) font but I can't remember for the life of me what it's called! If anyone knows, I will be forever in your debt, very appreciative, etc. etc. etc... You get the idea. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Here's a slightly higher-res version of the image:
-
ID or class I'm still confused
No worries mate, glad I could help! Remember though, the above is just a guideline - it's pretty flexible and, like I said, different designers develop completely different styles. Just keep doing it until you find a style that is logical and allows you to be quite flexible in your design. It'll come with time but there will doubtless be a LOT of screaming and crying first!
-
Scumbag won't transfer url ownership
That's illegal mate - there's no such thing as "releasing" a domain name. If you hand over money for it, it's yours - doesn't matter how many steps there are on the way between you and the domain name. The fact is that if you hand over money to ANYONE for the domain name, YOU own it. Anyone citing administration costs, etc. is talking rubbish - all it takes is one letter and sometimes just a phone call. The domain name SHOULD have been registered in the client's name in the first place - you don't have to pay up because someone else made a mistake!
-
Scumbag won't transfer url ownership
Just spoke to the guy and his words were (and I quote), "I don't have to speak to you, f*** off." Quite the charmer. He also tried to fob me off with some rubbish about how I had to contact Freestart (the people he's registered the domain name with). The fact is, I've already contacted them and they won't do anything without his permission because he was obviously the one who paid for it (using my client's money of course). There was a contract in place and my client has just received an invoice for the next year, detailing "RENEWAL of domain name", which is key - renewal obviously means she's already paid for it once, so the guy doesn't have a leg to stand on. I think it'll be a nice letter, with promised legal action if the domain name isn't transfered to my client within 28 days. It truly amazes me, the way that some people do business. I'm not angry with the guy at all to be honest - I just think he's in for a rude awakening when people get a bit more "internet-savvy".
-
Css style not cascading as expected...
You legend!!! That's all I have to say
-
ID or class I'm still confused
I think you pretty much get it to be honest. Classes and ids can be used together, which can be really useful... For example, let's say you have 3 feature boxes at the top of your page... Your html might look something like this: <div id="page"> <div id="first" class="featurebox"> </div> <div id="second" class="featurebox"> </div> <div id="third" class="featurebox"> </div> </div> You might want them all to have the same class (featurebox) because, essentially, they are the same thing (same width and height maybe) but maybe you want to place different backgrounds in them, so you give them separate ids. You could then style them like this: #page { width: 960px; margin: 0 auto; } .featurebox { width: 312px; height: 140px; } #first { background: red; float: right; } #second { background: blue; float: left } #third { background: green; } etc. etc. etc. You can also then combine the ids and classes in your css as well... #first.featurebox { margin: 12px 0; } Hope this helps. Remember though, each web designer will, over time, develop his/her own style. There are no real "hard" rules on how to do it, just guidelines. It'll start to make sense as you do more of it. Also, look at other people's code and ask yourself maybe why they chose an id or a class!
-
Css style not cascading as expected...
Right, hi guys, Wondering if someone can help... I am doing a site mock-up and one of the css styles is not cascading as I would expect it to - I'm sure I'm missing something simple but you know what it's like when you stare at code for too long - the obvious is no longer obvious!! Basically, everything is working fine except the 2 feature boxes at the bottom of the page content (International Students and UK Professionals) - the line height is too large. It seems that the line-height is still being affected by the styling for .format_text, despite me having produced much more specific style rules for the links contained within the feature boxes. If anyone has firebug, it'll make life a lot easier, checking it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! url is http://www.invisibleinkwebdesigns.com/ilccomms/
-
Web Design breaks in IE8
Ok, no worries - I think it was something to do with the css code supplied with the plugin, so I've disabled it and coded it all myself... Fingers crossed.
-
Web Design breaks in IE8
Ok, page now validates as transitional xhtml but it's made precisely zero difference to the layout of the contact form. Any ideas anyone?
-
Web Design breaks in IE8
tinimic, thank you VERY much - never even bothered to validate it, what a fool!! Haha. Thanks again, very helpful!
-
Web Design breaks in IE8
Hi guys, Was wondering if anyone could help me... I'm trying to do a quick mock-up of a site using Wordpress (Thesis theme). Bascially, everything is ok except for a contact form I have inserted into the footer. The design is here: http://www.invisibleinkwebdesigns.com/ilccomms There are a couple of problems... Firstly, the layout is all weird in IE8 (but fine in Firefox and Safari, etc.). It's like a load of margin/padding has been inserted into the form so the field boxes are too spaced apart. Secondly, the little "(required)" and "(valid email required)" pieces of text shouldn't be displaying between the boxes. They're contained in a span class, which I have set display: none; to in the css. I'm confused about why they're still displaying, despite me doing that. Basically, the code looks like this: <div id="contactform"> <h3 id="quickcontactform">Quick Contact</h3> <div id="usermessagea" class="cf_info "></div> <form enctype="multipart/form-data" action="/ilccomms/#usermessagea" method="post" class="cform" id="cformsform"> <fieldset class="cf-fs1"> <legend>Quick Contact</legend> <ol class="cf-ol"> <li id="li--2" class=""> <label for="cf_field_2"> <span>Your Name (required)</span> </label> <input type="text" name="cf_field_2" id="cf_field_2" class="single fldrequired" value="Your Name (required)" onfocus="clearField(this)" onblur="setField(this)"/> <span class="reqtxt">(required)</span> </li> <li...... etc. etc. As you can see, the "(required)" piece of text is in a span class, which I have styled using: #cformsform legend, #cformsform label, span.emailreqtxt, span.reqtxt { display: none; } But IE seems to still display it! ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!
-
Who would say this is pretty accurate?
You can't wish php an early death, surely?? It's pretty useful!
-
Scumbag won't transfer url ownership
Hi guys, Working for a client in Bournemouth and she already has a website. Basically, she bought the domain name, hosting and a web template from some cowboy in Bournemouth. The level of service she has received has been shockingly bad, so she has asked me to produce her own customised Wordpress site, to replace the god-awful template she was sold. Her hosting is up for renewal in September, which I've told her to cancel because the guy is charging outrageous amounts for shared hosting. The problem is that, when the domain name was registered, it was registered in the name of a reseller (via the guy who sold her the template) and not in my client's name. He has been asked to transfer the registration to my client but is refusing to do so, coming up with a list of excuses. She also has no ftp access to the site (she's using a template as I said before) and he won't provide usernames or passwords. I'm aware that Streamline.net used to do this and they actually got taken to court a few times after refusing to transfer the domain name registration (and lost). Does anyone know of any quick way of resolving this kind of thing??? Thanks
-
WoW
WoW is ok but you play for ages, struggling to get yr toon to lvl 80 and then, when you do, you realise that there's not a lot more to complete. The endgame is ok, with different dungeons, etc. but there are a LOT of people on WoW who take it WAY too seriously and won't let you form a group unless you've had experience of the dungeon before... It's a bit crappy to be honest
-
What to do at uni..
My ex did that course at Bournemouth and it was shocking - all she seemed to do was p*** about with Flash all day long - the tutors seemed to have wet dreams over Flash.
-
HELP please! Anyone know where I can find this stock photo?
Thanks for your time and help guys - I've tried EVERY search combination I could think of but no luck. You might be right - 3 images slapped together. Nightmare! But thanks for trying!
-
Storage server at work access
Hi guys, Wondering if anyone can help me. Got a server at work which is just used to store files for access by all computers in the building. You can't access it from anywhere outside the building. The problem is that there are loads and loads of folders that need to be deleted and the server generally needs to be cleaned up. How do you log in as admin to gain the permissions necessary to alter the folder structures, etc. I'm not good with servers at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers guys
-
HELP please! Anyone know where I can find this stock photo?
Hi guys, I desperately need to find where I can buy the stock photo used in the header of this page: http://www.legalenglishcourse.com (The 3 international-looking business people) I know it's horrible but there's no accounting for clients' taste ><. I've searched and searched but can't find it anywhere. Has anyone got ANY idea where it is?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
-
New Company website
Hiya, I think the site is nice, without being spectacular. It's quite clean-looking, with a little splash of "grunginess" with the ink splat, which normally works quite well. A couple of things though... I'm not sure about the background - is it really necessary to have 4 different strips?? White, then flat grey, then striped grey, then a fade into black?? I think it might be worth playing around with that and coming up with something that flows a little better... The logo that is shown after your little flash intro is complete on the front page looks like the "k" has a problem with it - I know it's only where one of the "drips" has run down, but it looks like it's now part of the "k". I REALLY don't like the format of the "Products" section. This might be personal preference but I don't think it should be in a "pop-out" style window - it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the site. Also, in my browser, the content does not fit the window properly. I understand that you might be trying to "show off" a little with the flash (I don't mean that in a derogatory sense by the way) but I think it would be better for the design (not to mention SEO) if the portfolio was done in a standard manner, with perhaps some jquery image transitions if you'd like to make a feature of the product gallery. Also, all I see when it opens is a load of red 3d squares - i was waiting for images to load into them but it didn't happen ;P Overall though, I think you're got a good base and, with a little tweaking, you could well have a really slick site there! Oh and yeah, the products page doesn't display at all in IE - another reason to get rid of it! Haha!! Webpage error details User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; eSobiSubscriber 2.0.4.16; InfoPath.2) Timestamp: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 17:30:28 UTC Message: Invalid argument. Line: 136 Char: 21 Code: 0 URI: http://www.alanpower.net/inkred1/src/adapter/shadowbox-base.js
-
New site please let me know what you thik
Just had a look through your portfolio site. You've done some really nice designs but this one is not my favourite. I think it might be a matter of taste, so I'm not sure I can give you any really constructive criticism. I loathe the colour!! Haha. Sorry. Also, I'm a little bit confused about the need for the right-hand column - all it holds is a fixed-scroll (which I also don't like) statement about the company. Smoothscroll works well here though and you've obviously done well with it in terms of SEO. Like I said, PLEASE don't take the above comments to heart - it may well be a taste thing and you have done some really slick-looking sites in my opinion, so maybe this is just as good but I just don't get it! Haha.
-
My portfolio website
Zel has left the building ><
-
portfolio site, feel free to get your teeth in ;p
You can't style form submit buttons effectively in all browsers using just css can you?? I thought there were loads of problems with that in various versions of IE??? Up to and including 7 I thought but I might be wrong...