Grant Barker

Cakewalk by BandLab - New Free DAW for Windows

For any Windows user here. If you fancy installing a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), then Cakewalk by BandLab is available for free.

cakewalk.jpg

It's always going to be free (the main DAW), and it's in early access here at https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk.

Cakewalk by BandLab is pretty much the old Cakewalk Sonar, so it's a fully functional and installable DAW.

In February of this year (2018), the property rights to Cakewalk were bought by BandLab, which already has a popular free online DAW solution (called BandLab).

Now BandLab has released Cakewalk and it's free to install and use.

As a former Cakewalk Sonar user, you can rest assured that this is a very nice DAW.

I thought I'd post this, in case you can benefit or enjoy playing around with, what just 6 months ago would cost you a few hundred dollars (depending on which version you chose).

8 hours ago, Rich C said:

I like Cakewalk, but haven't used it for about 15 years...do you know how they're making their money? Do they charge for plugins and the like?

I think they will end up charging for plugins, or plugin upgrades. Having said that, there are so many free things, loops, etc. to download and install. BandLab is already a free online DAW, so they are coming from a good place with a great community.

It's early days yet, so I'm keen to see what they include and bring out. I'm not installing all of my plugins again yet, until after a fresh install of the Windows 10 Spring update - due out soon, hopefully.

Not meaning to spam, but my own blog post Cakewalk by BandLab - Free DAW will help peeps see the recent history of things and what has transpired in the past 4 or 5 months. Especially if you visit the 2 previous pages linked in that post.

(Let me know if the page or info or style etc, needs work, too, if you like. I'm always looking for ways to improve things.)