Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UX Wireframing - What's your tool?

Featured Replies

Hey guys,

 

 

Just a quick discussion I wanted to start to ask if and what tools you use to plan a project in terms of wireframing, of course for UX purposes? Are you just sticking to sketching? Do you use a certain app like Axure, Invision or Balsamiq? Do you avoid wireframing altogether?

 

Be great to hear from you all :)

 

 

Dale

I draw first, simply to do some really rough stuff, then use illustrator or indesign to fine out the details on screen..

 

sweet site by the way, you do some good work..

I sketch and then use post it notes on a wall to look at the flow of a site. Occasionally I'll use wool/thread to show inter-linking pages. I find this is faster and easier to talk about with a team/client, and often ideas will crop up this way when everyone's talking;

 

"Maybe this page could slide into view?"

 

"This could be a full page search 'bar'?"

 

Often I find it's useful to avoid software until the very end. Even an Illustrator wireframe is a bit too polished and can actually restrict ideas in the early stages of a project.

I use plain old HTML + CSS for wireframing running on a vannila ExpressionEngine install with dummy content. It's easy and quick to adjust, plus it can have dynamic features from the offet...

GoMockingbird This tool won’t let you craft striking graphics, however this is enough to make wireframes. What sets this tool apart are their smart guides, pattern libraries, grids and pages feature.

I have always wanted to use Invision since I've been hearing lots of good stuff about that program but alas, there are just some things you have to sacrifice to save money.

; w ;

 

Oh but I think sketching is just the epitmone of wireframing. It easy to do and cheap. You don't really need to do extravagant sketches (only understandble) to make you user understand what you want to sat. In terms of free to use programs, I'd say Moqups. Or you can download a free wireframing kit (in PSD or AI) or work with them by dragging in your canvas.

Hey guys,

 

 

Just a quick discussion I wanted to start to ask if and what tools you use to plan a project in terms of wireframing, of course for UX purposes? Are you just sticking to sketching? Do you use a certain app like Axure, Invision or Balsamiq? Do you avoid wireframing altogether?

 

Be great to hear from you all :)

 

 

Dale

Yes, I used Axure, Balsamiq. And I also tried some other sketching prototype tools. All of them has good and bad points on Wireframing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.