July 22, 201412 yr I was just wondering, How do you rate a web desingner, is it just by experience or quality of work or amount of clients you have?
July 22, 201412 yr It's very easy to prejudge, especially as many people are experienced in certain aspects, like a back-end developer might not know so much about design. Comparing apples and oranges is the phrase that springs to mind. If you're comparing like for like then there's a lot of variables involved, the fastest way to assess if you are a client looking for a designer/developer is to see a portfolio and speak to his/her previous clients but there's no definitive way, you just have to get to know them and over time you can get a good idea of their ability.
July 22, 201412 yr I was just wondering, How do you rate a web desingner, is it just by experience or quality of work or amount of clients you have? Everyone is different but I wouldn't take it on the number of clients anyone has. For example: one person may have 50 clients, all small local businesses and another may have 10 a mixture of small businesses but then they work with Pepsi. Which one is better to you? The one with the larger client or the one that has more clients? Quality of work would be a big factor as well as customer reviews. It is no good having lots of clients or working with big clients if their work is garbage or they cannot meet the deadlines.
July 22, 201412 yr That is one of the best questions I've seen for a long time. I'd say it's their ability by being able to solve problems, and coming up with practical, workable and innovative solutions.
July 22, 201412 yr Author Everyone is different but I wouldn't take it on the number of clients anyone has. For example: one person may have 50 clients, all small local businesses and another may have 10 a mixture of small businesses but then they work with Pepsi. Which one is better to you? The one with the larger client or the one that has more clients? Quality of work would be a big factor as well as customer reviews. It is no good having lots of clients or working with big clients if their work is garbage or they cannot meet the deadlines. I actually think i would go with quality of work with bigger clients
July 23, 201412 yr I think I'd rate level of expertise as "Time x Quality" - for example being a web designer for a long time to a very high standard would have more expertise than someone who's been a web designer for a short time but at a very high standard. It's hard to judge as over time web design techniques and trends change, how have these people adapted in the past if at all? You also have to take into consideration that design is very much down to personal tastes at times; what some people like may not appeal to others but it doesn't make either of those people any less of an expert as everyone is entitled to an opinion. Dribbble is a fantastic example of this, young people straight out of college/school without ever having a design job are hitting the top of the popular pages because what they are doing is on trend rather than being actually useful. They may be skilled but they're not experienced and on the other hand you have older designers posting work that may tick all the boxes for the client's brief and but aren't rated as popular because in the eyes of others who have never seen the designer's brief/mission/project, it's not a good design. I suppose you'd also need to take skill level into the mix as well, what programmes the person can/won't/does/doesn't use to a high standard… there's a lot of things to take into consideration - it's a great question… think I'm just about done rambling now Edited July 23, 201412 yr by Bobby Anderson
Create an account or sign in to comment