Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New Web2.0 Design

Featured Replies

If you know me, then you probably know the fact that I am not a big fan of Web2.0, why? Because its too bright for me. Lol. Anyhow, Ehsan persuaded me to make some web2.0 graphic works by making me believe I couldn't make any. So I decided to prove him wrong and created 2 layouts, similar style but different color. I would like feedback on them and which color style you like the best.

 

If you can't view all 4 of the attached images on this board, here are some mirror links:

- http://www.sazzadhossain.info/portfolio/te...uncoded/Web2.0/

- http://iamshipon1988.deviantart.com/gallery/

I'm not a big fan myself... don't know what the other think..?

 

I think they are far too bright, the font doesn't do it for me at all and you're gradient are too pronounced, try to go from blue to blue (as in different shades) as suppose to blue to white.

 

My opinion ;)

 

Oli

I'm not a big fan myself... don't know what the other think..?

 

I think they are far too bright, the font doesn't do it for me at all and you're gradient are too pronounced, try to go from blue to blue (as in different shades) as suppose to blue to white.

 

My opinion ;)

 

Oli

I agree, and I don't like the yellow outline on the blue ones either..

  • Author

Oh oops, thats not supposed to be there. I tried going from blue to blue however, it doesn't look that great.

To be honest, I have no idea what kind of font I should use. I just used the default font on my Fireworks software. Any suggestions?

 

From your comment, I can assume you like the blue much better than the green. Am I correct?

 

oh btw oliver - congrats on the custom title! I agree with ben.

oh btw oliver - congrats on the custom title! I agree with ben.

Thank you for that :)

 

Re your colors.... What you use is up to you. Don't limit yourself with green or blue, these are two point o-e but it doesn't mean that they are the only colours that works....

Look outside, around you, take pictures and rip the colours out of it, that's what I do when I run out of ideas on colours or go on kuler and have a play... they are so many colours, you might be wasting you time trying to design only with green and blue...

 

Now the font question... again, there's no rule there... Just experiment. they are loads of free or not free sites full of fonts. Have a look, try, think... It's all part of the process, and part of the Fun I think :)

 

Voila!

 

Oli

  • Author

Well yes I know that but I was just looking for a suggestion. Would you suggest any particular font? The color I am satisfied with as they are two of my favorite colors

Now the font question... again, there's no rule there... Just experiment. they are loads of free or not free sites full of fonts. Have a look, try, think... It's all part of the process, and part of the Fun I think :)

 

This IS my suggestion ;)

Wayyy too defined. The colours, the gradients, the glows.. Just... urgh.

  • 1 month later...

before labeling yours or any others design "Web 2.0", it would be quite pertinent if one understands what web 2.0 really is. The following writeup is thought to be the first which used the term and tries to explain what its about.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/ti...-is-web-20.html

 

Now that you've gained a theoretical background of this term, it would be better to understand what a "web 2.0 style" is. Here is an article which i found quite helpful in this regards:

http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/web-2....style-guide.cfm

 

Finally, a somewhat sarcastic look at the "web 2.0 styles" :)

http://www.hypocritical.com/blog/2005/12/w...n-checklist.asp

Sorry but thats not web 2.0, its just a photoshop template. Im not really a big fan of them either, both are tooo monotone

Great article links jbladeus!

 

I totally agree that these designs aren't really web2.0 - they're too over the top. The beauty of web2.0 designs is the subtlety and simplicity of them and the fine little details. These designs are too brash and loud:

 

- the colours are too pronounced and over used

- None of the rounded corners match and relate to each other and therefore fight against each other for attention

- The drop shadows/glows are too harsh and heavy

- the refelctions on the text of the logo are too complicated and 'busy'

- the text in the logo, strapline and navigation isn't easy to read

- the main copy text hasn't got enough contrast from the background

- the gradients are too harsh rendering some of the text difficult to read

 

Overall it's all a little bit overcooked for my liking. It's like you're trying too hard and wanting to use every effect in the book.

  • Jo 90 locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.