Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Good open source alternatives

Featured Replies

Okay I'm looking at doing some freelance work but can't afford Photoshop among other things. I was just wondering if you guys could suggest good alternatives to both Photoshop and Dreamweaver?

The Gimp for Photoshop.

As for dreamweaver, I'm yet to find an editor I'm totally comfortable with but keep meaning to give notepad++ a try.

  • Author

I'll have a look at The GIMP. Also any free software as well as OS software.

Have you considered buying a copy of an old version of Photoshop from Ebay or such like?

 

My partner recently sold a whole load of old versions of Pshop / After effects / Dreamweaver etc and provided the buyers with a change of registartion...Adobe I understand provide a form to do this.

 

What this means is you can then easily update to CS3 when you can afford it at far less cost than purchasing new outright, in the meantime you'll have a version of Pshop to work with.

 

Just a thought.

 

 

:flm7:

  • Author

I'm trying to find this information on the Adobe website but all I can find is

The Student Edition is for home use by students only - the product cannot be installed and used on institutional or commercial computers.

 

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that this rules out any freelance work with the student edition of Photoshop?

Where did you get the idea that you need Photoshop and Dreamweaver? Although Adobe products are popular, particualrly amongst more corporate outfits there are many alternatives.

 

For coding work...

 

Bluementals WeBuilder + HTMLPad

Ultraedit

Notepad++

Coffecup

TSW webcoder

AceHTML

TopstylePro

Firstpage

MS Expression web

Spider writer

PSP Pad

 

For image work...

 

Ulead PhotoImpact

Corel Paints Shop Pro

Corel Draw

Xara Xtreme

The Gimp

 

I could probably list two dozen more...!

  • 4 weeks later...

If you use Linux.. for coding we have Quanta in the KDE desktop.

 

For Images.. Gimp is a must. See here.. http://meetthegimp.org/ free videocasts about Gimp.

www.meetthegimp.org Yes that is good i often use that top help me out in my times of need :rolleyes:

Graphics: Gimp or Paint.net (if you only need simple stuff)

Editor: Notepad (if you are good enough with CSS and HTML), or Aptana (arguably better than Dreamweaver).

  • 7 months later...
I really liked Aptana Studio (Community Edition - free) with the PHP plugin. http://aptana.com/studio/

 

Hello

 

Downloaded Aptana Studio last night - so far I'm very impressed with it. For javascript/css/html - just as good (+ in javascripts case - much better than) Dreamweaver CS3.

 

Thanks for the link Mihai.

 

Rob

I´ve just started using Aptana. It has code completion , a well intergrated css and html reference , code snippets , immediate error checking of code and has loads of extentions that can be added.

 

Very impressed so far :-)

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.