Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

PHP learning material

Featured Replies

Hello All

 

I am looking at expanding my knowledge of PHP and was wondering if anyone has any good material or knows any to share.

 

I dont mind the format, ebook, book, videos.

 

If you can let me know

 

thanks in advance

  • Author

I got a book called Learning PHP 5 by David Sklar

 

anyone know if this is any good.

 

I would prefer a book due to me being somewhere that doesnt have access to internet. So any books would be cool.

 

Thanks tho Sash

I'm in the same situation as you. I bought "visual quickpro guide: PHP and MySQL for dynamic web sites by larry ullman" from amazon and I can really recommend it.

I learned using "The PHP Developers Cookbook" and the PHP documentation. That book is probably ancient now but the documentation is still a great place to learn from.

I was looking for book recommendations on PHP a while back and I was told by a few experienced coders that the PHP Manual website is all you really need and you'll be referring to it a lot anyway. It might save you money just to stick to the site.

 

http://php.net/manual/en/index.php

 

I myself prefer books to screen but then again I'm kind of an old fart around these parts.

 

Or at least I feel old here.

I'm in the same situation as you. I bought "visual quickpro guide: PHP and MySQL for dynamic web sites by larry ullman" from amazon and I can really recommend it.

 

 

Yes thats the book i use!

 

I been refering to it for about 5 years on and off i suppose.

 

 

Its complicated to get into and its not as easy as some ways i have seen online for explaining things.

 

Buts its very complete! It covers most things you need to know fairly well.

 

 

I also like the scripts that came with the book. I saved time by using a modified version of the login system for my

own website I have been working on.

 

 

I wouldnt like to say I know php because im not sure at what point you can say that.

 

Like i have written a 70 page original application with thousands an thousands of lines of uniquye code.

 

But i still dont feel like i know php.

 

There are just so many functions and concepts to master!

 

 

Tho i must say learning php has given me a desire to want to learn ruby on rails!

 

I just like the sound of "ruby on rail" I think python isnt as good a name for a programming language.

 

Tho i know python is probably more popular.

 

I just wish i could make good graphic designs to go with my php!

If you've got access to an iOS device and the Internet quickly download PHP+ . It's a PHP training book plus the full PHP manual in an app and is currently 69p.

 

Once you've grabbed it you won't have to connect to the net again.

  • Author

cheers for this Mike, jsut wat i needed will be able to read it on my ipad aswell. thank you again.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.