Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

.COM Domains In UK Local Search

Featured Replies

I'm based in Australia at the moment, but my girlfriend and I have dual citizenship in the UK and plan on moving over there within the next 18 months or so. I'd like to establish my existing web design business in the UK when we get there, but I've been unable to obtain the appropriate .co.uk domain (it's being squatted, and the guy who owns it doesn't want to sell). However I have managed to purchase the appropriate .com domain, and I'm wondering if this will show up in Google UK's local results, or does it have to be a .co.uk domain to do that?

 

Cheers,

 

Chris

I'm based in Australia at the moment, but my girlfriend and I have dual citizenship in the UK and plan on moving over there within the next 18 months or so. I'd like to establish my existing web design business in the UK when we get there, but I've been unable to obtain the appropriate .co.uk domain (it's being squatted, and the guy who owns it doesn't want to sell). However I have managed to purchase the appropriate .com domain, and I'm wondering if this will show up in Google UK's local results, or does it have to be a .co.uk domain to do that?

 

Cheers,

 

Chris

 

No thats not the case .com is also fine, you just need to make sure you host your site on UK server, with good contains.

  • Author

No thats not the case .com is also fine, you just need to make sure you host your site on UK server, with good contains.

 

I have no idea who to host with in the UK. Are you guys awesome? :)

Chris, there's a lot of threads about hosting on the forums, and several hosts post regularly here, I recommend reading some of the threads first before jumping in and make a shortlist of potential hosts you're interested in.

 

It also pays to make a note of what requirements you have, eg disk space, bandwidth, budget etc, and there's no harm in contacting a few hosts directly with some questions - you can judge their resposiveness and helpfulness with direct comms as well.

Edited by BlueDreamer

  • Author

Chris, there's a lot of threads about hosting on the forums, and several hosts post regularly here, I recommend reading some of the threads first before jumping in and make a shortlist of potential hosts you're interested in.

 

It also pays to make a note of what requirements you have, eg disk space, bandwidth, budget etc, and there's no harm in contacting a few hosts directly with some questions - you can judge their resposiveness and helpfulness with direct comms as well.

 

Good advice. Much appreciated. :)

Also, one of the features of Google's Webmaster Tools allows you to specify a country to rank in, or leave blank to be more international. I'm not sure how big an impact this has on your ranking, but if it's a feature for this purpose then I pressume it should be used.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.