Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What is WEB DESIGN?

Featured Replies

My objective in creating this thread is to hopefully aid clarity of viewpoint, and I sincerely hope it does not become a futile venture. We would not expect the general public to agree on the definition of web design, but it has become quite clear to me that people within the industry cannot even agree amongst themselves.

 

So, what is web design?

 

I am not going to post any replies to this thread, but I will leave it for the community to have their say..

 

Here are some definitions of web design that I found today. I have chosen these at random from items ranking highly in Google:-

 

 

 

Web design is the skill of creating presentations of content (usually hypertext or hypermedia) that are delivered to an end-user through the World Wide Web, using a Web browser or other Web-enabled software . ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_design

 

 

 

Web design is a process of conceptualisation, planning, modeling, and execution of electronic media content delivery via Internet in the form of technologies (such as markup languages) suitable for interpretation and display by a web browser or other web-based graphical user interfaces (GUIs). ...

www.delicious-webdesign.com/website-design-uncovered.html

 

 

 

The production of the look and feel of a site and all its visual elements including page layout, background and spot imagery, color scheme, typography, navigation buttons, etc.

www.pavegraphics.com/glossary.htm

 

 

 

Process of planning and creating a website. Text, images, digital media and programming elements are shaped by the web designer to produce the page seen on the web browser.

www.mtu.edu/umc/services/web/resources/cms/web.html

 

 

 

More than just coding a web site, Web Design involves integrating your marketing plan and uses good SEO techniques.

www.bobburchdesign.com/glossery/

 

 

 

The visual aspect of your site, very important for your client side.

www.webhostdesignpost.com/website/webdevelopmentdefinitio…

 

 

 

Using visual elements such as images, graphics, icons, and content formatting to display (i.e design) content on the internet. Web design is NOT web development. Think of it this way: web design is how it looks.

www.10thingsihateaboutyoursite.com/glossary/

 

 

 

The process and art of creating a Web page or Web site. It may involve both the look and mechanics of how a web site works.

www.idealdesign.co.uk/terminology.html

 

 

 

The programmed design and development of a website including all content creation and coding.

lawfirm-app.com/index.php

 

 

 

So what's your definition? I am looking for the killer definition of web design (if this is possible). Please keep them as short and concise as possible, and don't start a war with anyone who has a different view to you. I'm interested to just let everyone have their say and see what happens.

 

I realise this is one of those threads which makes you groan on first seeing it! I thought it might be useful, and saves wasting loads of time in future because we do not have an agreed definition of 'web design'.

 

If you all can't be bothered with this thread I totally understand.

I probably would normally look at something like this and go ..meh

Edited by oakleaves

I have two different definitions. The one I use for the general public covers content strategy, IA, UX, design, development, SEO.

 

Technically, I draw the line at HTML and CSS. Once that's done I put on my developer hat instead.

  • Author

I know I said I would not add any further comments and I am hoping Porkchops doesn't mind me quoting him here..

 

I just think he has come up with (although maybe not intentionally) the simplest, most beautiful definition of what web design is, and I hope I have not misquoted him:-

 

web design is "anything that revolves around the creation of a website".

 

 

</end>?

Edited by oakleaves

Really, web design is the designing and/or creation of websites.

 

The only catch is people design things differently, some sketch, some prototype, some code, etc. And then some people don't do those things. It's same with anything. Ultimately, you design a website and the steps in between may differ but the goal is the same, to create a website.

 

~evu.

Really, web design is the designing and/or creation of websites.

 

The only catch is people design things differently, some sketch, some prototype, some code, etc. And then some people don't do those things. It's same with anything. Ultimately, you design a website and the steps in between may differ but the goal is the same, to create a website.

 

~evu.

This :p

I think you guys got all of them covered here. Let me try... Web design is the design I always wanted but could not learn it no matter how hard I try. :bangb:

Hey where did it go? I signed in just to reply to that! That was funnie...

 

:(

fair enough.. I'm just tickled by the answer of web design being a practice of designing websites and please go to some company or something

Edited by rrr

  • Author

Thanks for resurrecting the dead thread rrr

 

Even I was bored of this thread, and I started it

Edited by oakleaves

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.