Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

WEb Design Newbie

Featured Replies

Hi folks

 

feeling a bit low this morning been trying to get better at design for over a year and i dont feel like I'm getting there, and i love design aswell but trying to hit the professional touch is hard. Im good with HTML/CSS/PHP/MYSql but really want to get design as I love doing it.

 

I have spent over £1000 so far for server, nominet, photoshop, illustrator, adwords etc... and not made any profit not even breaking even. Don't want to throw the towel in and mark it down as a loss as I love doing this just want to to become better. Been trying tuts etc, watching vids, reading articles, and can achieve the tutorials but when experimenting it seems to go leave my mind. Would anyone be interested in mentoring I will pay I just want to learn and get up to scratch and develop a site that can get me going even its just hosting and domain names, don't want to pay for a designer as I love doing web stuff just wish I could nail design and Javascript lol. Giving up is not me so its not an option, im determined to do it.

 

Right rant over. Sorry if thsi isnt the right place to post or if i have bored yous to tears and im not looking for a sympathy vote.

 

Thanks for listening folks.

Joe

it can be a long and hard process. my multimedia degree did next to nothing in terms of actual design... just taught the programs. so to get something looking correct, is harder than it seems. my advice, is to keep at it, as I am doing at the moment. look for inspiration everywhere you can find it. obviously the web has most resources, so keep an eye out for things of interest. nice images, navigation, content layout and break them down as much as you can..

 

was it the extra touch of texture in the background giving it the final finish? or was it the tiny shine on the edge of the border? is he using a simple 3 column layout for all the text? or maybe its some sort of grid system. when you ask yourself these questions, you start to notice that the guys who make all the amazing sites out there, didnt start off as a omg-amazing-web-guru. they began by employing existing techniques and touches, and tailored them to suit their system.

 

before you go near html, design something you are happy with, in photoshop, and post it up on this forum. if there is criticism, take on the chin, and look to improve it. fish around other inspiration sites and utilise some of the ideas. once you have the exact look you want then the easy part (well kinda :D ) is transferring it to html/php/whatever.

 

tbh, i often find the mockup part the hardest, because i look at my designs and think, 'bah its just not as good as some of the other sites i see'..but im learning... and its getting easier to come up with ideas, and more fun :p

 

but stick at it dude, and you'll get there.

keep practicing, its hard to get good but when your good youll be smashing out designs in seconds mate, practice ;)

  • Author

Thanks guys for advice, just seem to be getting creative block, well its not a block got ideas its just accomplishing them in photoshop illustrator, but got total creative block for the logo for this hosting site Im doing. Wish it was just a mateer of coding, Id be fine then lol except javascript. Just a bit miffed with the loss of all that money, but i am determined i m not the type to give up:)

Joe

Thanks guys for advice, just seem to be getting creative block, well its not a block got ideas its just accomplishing them in photoshop illustrator, but got total creative block for the logo for this hosting site Im doing. Wish it was just a mateer of coding, Id be fine then lol except javascript. Just a bit miffed with the loss of all that money, but i am determined i m not the type to give up:)

Joe

 

Hey Joe do you have MSN messenger or aim? (I prefer msn but doesn't really matter) and can I see some of your current work? (to judge your level) Id be glad to help you out any time no charge at all. I'm online most of the time not working with any clients at the moment just personal/project stuff. if you need any help id be glad to give you some solid detailed advice. Its gets way easier once u learn a few simple tricks. or just be there if you have some questions.. ;)

 

I still get designer block and got most style's of design down pretty well. So dont get discouraged! Sometimes you just need to walk away watch a movie and come back and see what happens next.

 

My msn info should be in my profile page. Offers on the table.

Edited by Everblue

  • Author

Hey Joe do you have MSN messenger or aim? (I prefer msn but doesn't really matter) and can I see some of your current work? (to judge your level) Id be glad to help you out any time no charge at all. I'm online most of the time not working with any clients at the moment just personal/project stuff. if you need any help id be glad to give you some solid detailed advice. Its gets way easier once u learn a few simple tricks. or just be there if you have some questions.. ;)

 

I still get designer block and got most style's of design down pretty well. So dont get discouraged! Sometimes you just need to walk away watch a movie and come back and see what happens next.

 

My msn info should be in my profile page. Offers on the table.

 

Hi

Thanks mate, I have added you on msn. Speak soon

 

Joe

Hi

Thanks mate, I have added you on msn. Speak soon

 

Joe

 

Hey Joe sorry I have just noticed I am NOT signed into MSN right now. (Which isnt normal) but Its about 11am where I am and I haven't gone to sleep in almost 2 days (which is normal for me) but its hitting about that time now..

 

Perhaps I dont posses the vampire qualities I thought I did..

 

I will have more time tomorrow to help you out (and ill feel awake enough to be able to cohearently guide you through some things!)

 

until then!

 

GOOD NIGHT WORLD! (even though its light outside whoops)

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.