Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Web career so far...

Featured Replies

Its just coming up to a year now since I first dipped my toes into this wonderful business, and started to get to grips with HTML and CSS - my only experience before this was with table-based layouts, years ago, using Geocities, and a small part of a module on my IT-degree course.

 

In that time, I have learnt a hell of a lot, and come a long way! I started looking at some of the earlier sites I worked on, generally "test" ones in which I was trying out HTML and CSS for the first time, and its quite satisfying looking at concepts I once struggled with that I can now do practically blind-folded.

 

I thought it would be interesting - if any of you still have access to some of your first sites - to post them up here (either an image, or a link to the site if it is still active) to get a feel for your humble beginnings!

 

So, I guess I'll start...

 

Site No 1;

 

post-18821-0-30997900-1297036311_thumb.jpg

 

Site 2;

 

post-18821-0-48961000-1297036477_thumb.jpg

 

Site 3;

 

post-18821-0-50416900-1297036547_thumb.jpg

 

http://www.marahwhiteheadceramics.co.uk/

 

Site 4 (my first portfolio site);

 

post-18821-0-66840600-1297036635_thumb.jpg

 

Site 5;

 

post-18821-0-62057300-1297036721_thumb.jpg

 

http://www.kylecooper.co.uk/templates/business-name/index.html'>http://www.kylecooper.co.uk/templates/business-name/index.html

 

Site 6;

 

post-18821-0-30137300-1297036836_thumb.jpg

 

http://www.yogamasti.com/

 

Site 7;

 

post-18821-0-39853600-1297036927_thumb.jpg

 

http://www.kylecooper.co.uk/

 

--------------------

 

Well theres my "visual timeline" of the last 12 months. Over to you :)

 

This list just includes websites that I have solely worked on, not sites that I have completed in partnerships with others, or have had outsourced to me by agencies.

 

 

Kyle

  • Author

Anybody?! Bah, humbug... :p

 

:aggressive:

 

 

Kyle

I really dont have access or time to screenshot every site I've made so I'll just go for the first (and worse) site I ever made...

 

post-19630-0-48053900-1297125956_thumb.jpg

 

Made it in November/December 1996 for our ice/roller hockey team, that screenshot doesn't really do it justice, the header is a H1 MARQUEE tag and every possible image is an animated gif. I did make another 'site' before this in 1995 but its lost (thank god!).

  • Author

I really dont have access or time to screenshot every site I've made so I'll just go for the first (and worse) site I ever made...

 

post-19630-0-48053900-1297125956_thumb.jpg

 

Made it in November/December 1996 for our ice/roller hockey team, that screenshot doesn't really do it justice, the header is a H1 MARQUEE tag and every possible image is an animated gif. I did make another 'site' before this in 1995 but its lost (thank god!).

 

Its reassuring to see no matter how advanced people get with thier web dev skills, everyone starts in a similar place! lol. I wish my geocities one was still floating around, I remember it had a really really badly cut out image of a person (that I cut around using ms paint) and at least 6 gifs on the front page... One of which was the famed "flames" gif. lol. Simpler times!!

 

 

Kyle

Well, you definitely have evolved during your 12 month period. So, I have to give you that. I'm suggesting you dabble a bit into graphic design though. Learn about the use of textures and icon designing. It will help your work transform in a faster paste.

I really dont have access or time to screenshot every site I've made so I'll just go for the first (and worse) site I ever made...

 

post-19630-0-48053900-1297125956_thumb.jpg

 

Made it in November/December 1996 for our ice/roller hockey team, that screenshot doesn't really do it justice, the header is a H1 MARQUEE tag and every possible image is an animated gif. I did make another 'site' before this in 1995 but its lost (thank god!).

 

Jaysus :rofl:

 

THAT IS QUALITY :D

Stop dissin my site, CSS wasn't even invented :p

 

I suppose seeing as this is a career timeline, and I'm pleased to say I've moved on since then, I thought I should post up something I'm working on now, so here is a wee screenshot of the system I'm working on.

 

post-19630-0-32885800-1297694817_thumb.jpg*

 

*Its for the government and there is an NDA on it so I had to blur some of it.

Stop dissin my site, CSS wasn't even invented :p

 

I suppose seeing as this is a career timeline, and I'm pleased to say I've moved on since then, I thought I should post up something I'm working on now, so here is a wee screenshot of the system I'm working on.

 

post-19630-0-32885800-1297694817_thumb.jpg*

 

*Its for the government and there is an NDA on it so I had to blur some of it.

 

Nice, real smooth looking. I wish half the applications i worked with when i worked in local government looked like that :p

 

 

 

I don't have any of mine live right now, but it is nice to see that others didn't just start as a god designer. Thanks for posting your progress.

I do have to wonder though, when trying to go professional, I notice a lot of people lose their creative edge. So many sites out there look alike, streamlined and stiff. I always want mine to display some sort of uniqueness, but I also want the clients. Has anyone else had the issue while improving?

  • Author

Well, you definitely have evolved during your 12 month period. So, I have to give you that. I'm suggesting you dabble a bit into graphic design though. Learn about the use of textures and icon designing. It will help your work transform in a faster paste.

 

Cheers dude. Yeah I'm well aware that my design skills aren't as good as they could be, its just not the background I come from. I'm always trying to improve though, and I find that with each new site I work on, it comes a bit more naturally to me.

 

Stop dissin my site, CSS wasn't even invented :p

 

I suppose seeing as this is a career timeline, and I'm pleased to say I've moved on since then, I thought I should post up something I'm working on now, so here is a wee screenshot of the system I'm working on.

 

Thats quite an improvement you've made, there :p

 

heres mine...still live!

 

http://alchemyprocesssolutions.com/

 

Irrespective of the coding, the design and feel considering its a first website is actually pretty good, lol.

 

I don't have any of mine live right now, but it is nice to see that others didn't just start as a god designer. Thanks for posting your progress.

I do have to wonder though, when trying to go professional, I notice a lot of people lose their creative edge. So many sites out there look alike, streamlined and stiff. I always want mine to display some sort of uniqueness, but I also want the clients. Has anyone else had the issue while improving?

 

Aye, its a pickle. You gotta do what you gotta do to keep the money rolling in, though. I usually find if you do add a bit of uniqueness to a site, outside the realm of the usual corporate-ness, and explain to the client why you have done so, they are usually pretty receptive to it.

 

 

Kyle

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.