Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Designing Website

Featured Replies

Hi all...

 

Im looking to design a website and was wondering if a site similar to this http://www.blackmore.co.uk/ could be designed in Photoshop? If not what program would I need?

 

I've done a little bit of work on photoshop but am by no means a pro...

 

When I save the site the text is saved as an image and not as text... how can I combat this?

 

Thanks in advance...

 

A Noob!

Heya

 

Photoshop is just for pictures. Everything will be saved as a picture, including text, so you can't create a whole website with it (although you can obviously use it to make any pics on the site).

 

You can make a simple website with just a text editor (something like Notepad on Windows). You'd need to learn a markup language called HTML or XHTML, which can be typed into the text editor and saved.

 

If you don't like the text editor idea, there are other programs you can use, like Dreamweaver. These make it a lot easier to build a site, because it works more like a word processor (you just drop in pictures and text etc). They're called WYSIWYG HTML editors (so you can do a search for them.. there's even a few free ones).

  • Author

Photoshop is a very 'creative' program from what I've found... i.e. its designed by creative people as opposed to technical people... and things are in wierd places where u wouldnt expect them to be...

 

Is dreamweaver an easy program to use?

 

I really want to go into business designing websites but dont really have the capital to take courses etc... is it something that can be self taught fairly easily?

dreamweaver can be learnt easily, youtube videos etc...

or just messing about with it..

it is very straightfoward

Photoshop is a very 'creative' program from what I've found... i.e. its designed by creative people as opposed to technical people... and things are in wierd places where u wouldnt expect them to be...

 

Is dreamweaver an easy program to use?

 

I really want to go into business designing websites but dont really have the capital to take courses etc... is it something that can be self taught fairly easily?

 

It's pretty easy to use, yeah. It doesn't take long at all to learn the basics, and if I remember right, the help files are pretty good. The code it comes out with isn't the best, but I don't think that'd be a problem if you're a beginner. It (or any other WYSIWYG editor) can't beat hand coding, but it's a useful first step.

Photoshop is a very 'creative' program from what I've found... i.e. its designed by creative people as opposed to technical people... and things are in wierd places where u wouldnt expect them to be...

 

Photoshop and every other image editor is purely for creating and manipulating images as bumfluff said. It's also got a hefty price tag so purchasing a licence is not for the feint herted. There are many more image editors that are far easier to use and affordable to the beginner.

 

Is dreamweaver an easy program to use?

 

At first sight it may appear easy but if you want to be serious about web designing you need to learn to code HTML and CSS by hand. Again Dreamweaver is very expensive when there are many equally as goof free or low cost HTML editors availbale.

 

I really want to go into business designing websites but dont really have the capital to take courses etc... is it something that can be self taught fairly easily?

 

There are numerous resources online that you can learn from, and that's the way most people learn. Do a web search, you'll find thousands of them!

Some good advice on here. I'd like to add that it is something you can learn without taking a course, but don't expect to be making pro sites in a few weeks. There's a fair amount to learn, but an abundance of resources out there.

 

In terms of graphics and image editors, I really recommend GIMP - it's free and will do many of the things people use photoshop for, and some things that photoshop can't! That and a decent text editor with syntax highlighting (this means that it uses different colours for different bits of code, making it much easier to read and edit).

 

Have fun!

I'd advise you to get started by searching for a basic HTML tutorial and use a text editor. Notepad is fine for starting but something like Notepad2 is necessary as your sites get bigger.

 

Then try a basic CSS tutorial. With these two things and your knowledge of photoshop so far you can do anything, but you will need to keep reading and learning to pick up all the tricks and how to's as your layouts get more complex and challenging.

 

If you start with a WYSIWYG you will hold yourself back from understanding what's actually going on with the HTML and CSS, and they really are not that hard to grasp with some time, some patience and plenty of reading.

I totally agree with Eris. There is so much more to building a webisite, than just knocking something up in a WYSIWYG editor. If you can understand why and how things work, then you will make much better websites.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.