Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How to get into the Web Design industry with no experience?

Featured Replies

I have passed my City & Guilds Level 2 in Web Design and really would like to pursue a career in this, but no-one will give me a chance because I have no experience! If I can't get experience how do I get the job I want!!??!!

 

 

 

_________________

 

[removed spam links]

 

Edited by BlueDreamer
remove link drop

Did you try to make your own portofolio?In my opinion you should try to make your own porofolio to show that you want to learn in this field. May be somebody will appreciate.

Make your effective portfolio with what you know about web designing. Include all the tools you have used for web designing. This will help to web industry to know about your skills and then you get call from these industry.

 

Regards:- Website design Sydney

A portfolio is the only way forward, regardless of if you want to be employed or self-employed.

 

An employer needs to see your skills, and rattling off a few abbreviations here and there won't cut any mustard. You need to show your skills to them through a portfolio.

 

There are many ways you can produce this portfolio; both Online or offline.

 

Even if you have no real clients to produce websites for, you can make a few 2-3 page sites with content relatively easily and host them on any host. Create your own webpage and link to your sites from there and use that as your online portfolio.

 

You can then print out screenshots of your work, with explanations included, and make a folder with your work in. You now have a live online portfolio with a hardcopy to hand to take to interviews.

 

Offer your services to freinds & family. It's better to do a few live sites for poecket money to build up a portfolio, than to try and make big bucks with no visible experience.

 

Its hard, but you will get there. Good Luck.

 

And Kudos on the aility to get a signature with only 3 posts. I need 20+ to get one haha

a good portfolio and many many job applications, just keep applying and once you get invited for an interview the ball's in your court no matter how much experience you may or may not have

Take on freelancing in your own time, when I first got into the industry I had my own website up with just photoshopped images on it.

 

If I'm honest tho it was really BAD when I look back on it now, jee!!

 

Anyways matie, good luck :)

Perhaps try asking for work experience. If you show a good attitude and willingness to learn that will be appreciated.

 

Create a page which you can then show any potential employers that demonstrates your skills - eg a recursive function in PHP using MySQL data.

Do pro bono work for charities to build up your portfolio.

 

You can register at it4communities.org.uk to offer yourself for free.

It's just a matter of patience and perseverance. I assumed there are companies offering jobs for beginners even though you don't have a great portfolio. But of course, if you start making your own, the easier to get your dream job.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.