Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Absolute Positioning or Floats for page/column layout

Featured Replies

Hi

 

I am new here so hi.

 

I have come across this forum and wondered if I can ask my first question please.

 

I have built a few websites for myself and a few friends (although not a coding expert or anything) but am now looking at building my first site using css for layout etc.

 

I have been reading books and searching the internet but my first area of confusion is as to how the majority of people lay out their columns etc, it apperas that using floats might be easier but almost all the trial templates I have looked at seem to use absolute/relative positioning.

 

Opinions would be very much appreciated.

 

Thanks Very Much

 

Den

  • Author

Hi Thomas

 

I want 3 columns, 1 right sidebar and 1 left sidebar with main content in the middle, along with a header and footer. I haven't decided on fixed or fluid yet. In what situation would you consider it best to use floats/absolute positioning or is that still a little vague?

 

Thanks for your input, everytime I think I've got the hang of it all something else crops up. ^_^

 

Den

Absolute layers are dead, you don't use them anymore. U just play around with divs and with CSS you determine the way they look and react with content. If you want to have more that 1 div in the same horizontal position you use float. If you use Firefox I would recommend downloading the CSS VIEWER, a powerful tool that can make you understand how divs work. With the CSS VIEWER you can examine real time websites that are designed with div- layout.

 

If you have used CSS in the past you will get it right away. Keep in mind that there are some bugs regarding some browsers so you must really careful, like IE6 for example.

 

http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/stylesheets/csslayout.html

some small info to get you started.

 

Best of luck ;)

  • Author

Hi John

 

Thanks for that, it is useful information I'll get on to that Firefox CSS Viewer.

 

Den

Welcome to WDF!

 

I've always used floats and never found a justifiable reason for using absolute/relative positioning.

 

"Float it left, float it right, float it well and keep it tight"

  • Author

Hi Bluedreamer

 

Thanks for your take on it. I have to say I was always veering towards floats but everytime I looked at some free css layouts to see how they did it they seemed to use absolute. I got a little confused and thought I'd get a little more advice before starting my design.

 

Den

Welcome to WDF!

 

I've always used floats and never found a justifiable reason for using absolute/relative positioning.

 

"Float it left, float it right, float it well and keep it tight"

 

Drop down menus.

Hi

I am also new in this forum. I also design so many sites and no much about coding. You take help from internet search

free download template site from google download on our computer and look tha css file that really help to you.

 

------------------------------

Webdesign UK

Hello - I'm new too!

 

A great resource I found when I first learned about CSS and floats etc was code-sucks. They have tons of cross browser CSS templates that I used for a while to get me started on layouts. Take a look.

Hi Thomas

 

I want 3 columns, 1 right sidebar and 1 left sidebar with main content in the middle, along with a header and footer. I haven't decided on fixed or fluid yet. In what situation would you consider it best to use floats/absolute positioning or is that still a little vague?

 

Den

 

Den

 

If you want to see a site as you describe, have a look at mine. (It is a first effort, so don't expect too much!) The middle column is fluid - check it out by dragging the right hand edge of the overall window towards the middle:

 

Sol Classic Car Club website

 

Regards

 

Richard

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.