Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

empty space at bottom of page

Featured Replies

Hi guys,

 

I am designing a page for a karate school I am working with (I am very new to this and self taught ATM so please bear with me). I use Microsoft Expressions Web 3, the page has some empty space at the bottom I just cannot get rid of, also when I look at the page on my old machine, it all moves around, the content div moves to the bottom of the page, just leaving a yellow space where it should be.

 

I know there are a few other "design issues" I need to clean up, any advice will be gratefully received.

 

http://www.karate-harrogate.co.uk

Mmm! Where to start.

 

In ie8 the site is broken, the main content has been pushed downward under your left column, perhaps you should not set the page width as wide as I am having to scroll to see the whole site.

 

I would restrict your site to 950px wide and put all content in a wrapper div, also resize your header image to 950px wide.

 

you have a mixture of %widths and px, for just now I would stick to px.

 

HTH

 

Pat

the page has some empty space at the bottom

 

This is due to the height you're assigning. Have a play around by reducing the amount of height you've given each DIV (left column, center, right column).

  • Author

So if I understand you right, if i were to put it all in a container div, set the width to 950 px and assign the height once I know how far down it goes, this should solve my problems?

 

I am literally starting from scatch, but for a total noob, I think I am at least making some progress.

 

As long as no-one tells me to go back to my dayjob (this partly is my dayjob now!) I'll be a happy man. :D

So if I understand you right, if i were to put it all in a container div, set the width to 950 px and assign the height once I know how far down it goes, this should solve my problems?

 

I am literally starting from scatch, but for a total noob, I think I am at least making some progress.

 

As long as no-one tells me to go back to my dayjob (this partly is my dayjob now!) I'll be a happy man. :D

 

Stay in your day job, if we knew everything this forum wouldn't exist.

 

So if I understand you right, if i were to put it all in a container div, set the width to 950 px

 

that would be a good start you will probably have to reposition things though but eventually you will get there with the forums help

 

Pat

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.