Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How long do we have?

Featured Replies

Hi everyone

 

I am doing my honours dissertation project and need to find reliably sourced data as to how long a user spends making an evaluation of a website.

 

I am looking for the time a user spends looking before deciding a website is fake/real/rubbish/not what they want.

 

I have heard everything from 0.5 secs to 5 secs but need data to show where along this sliding scale is most reliable. So if anyone knows of any relevant research or has read somewhere about this I would be chuffed if you could point me the right way.

 

I have tried google but its a nightmare. Also I hope this is in the right section was having probs placing it!

  • Author

cheers bud this is the exact sort of thing I need lots of!

 

If anyone else knows anymore let me know, I need as much information to back up these reason for the timings in my dissertation as possible.

Conduct your own? That should be a good way to impress...

 

Gather a load of screen-shots of websites and have the user put their fingers on say the L and A keys (for comfort). Have them press A if it's good, L if it's bad. As soon as one key is pressed load another screen-shot and let them judge until they get bored :)

 

I'm sure if you posted it on here loads of people would have a go for you for a couple of minutes :)

  • Author

Conduct your own? That should be a good way to impress...

 

Gather a load of screen-shots of websites and have the user put their fingers on say the L and A keys (for comfort). Have them press A if it's good, L if it's bad. As soon as one key is pressed load another screen-shot and let them judge until they get bored :)

 

I'm sure if you posted it on here loads of people would have a go for you for a couple of minutes :)

 

I don't have enough time unfortunately I suggested it and was told to complete all of it would be too tall an order including the current project.

 

My project actually looks at phishing websites and I am testing user perceptions of design elements on a page. I am going to be showing participants popular websites (time limited which is where the research comes in), they then have to decide if they thought think the site was real or fake. I would like to say 3 seconds, but unfortunately its academic so I cant just pull a number out of thin air ha ha.

 

It is a good idea to do my own but I am pretty sure it has been done many times before so there should be data out there somewhere I just cannot find it!

That kind of testing is very very subjective. It would have to be done very scientifically to remove bias.

 

Most results in usability are very very unreliable.

 

Jakob Nielsen's site is fantastic and his books do go through a lot of the methodology, but costs a hell of a lot to get the results he does.

 

His three books are well worth looking at...

 

  • Author

That kind of testing is very very subjective. It would have to be done very scientifically to remove bias.

 

Most results in usability are very very unreliable.

 

 

There are a few problems, some of which are:

 

when do you start the timer?

when the page finishes loading or when the server finishes sending the page?

or is it when the first area of the site is visible?

what connection speed should be used?

 

it needs to be the same for each participant that sort of thing

Yeah absolutley, as I say the results in his books are pretty damn good. So would certainly check them out.

 

There is a lot online about it though. Worth scouting around some journals etc. :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.