February 19, 201016 yr I have a question, I need to use a CMS which is open source and I have been asked to wiegh up Drupal and Joomla, As I haven't used a CMS before I was wandering if someone could recomend me on of the two, as I haven't any pratical use of these and need to start learning about Open Source CMS.
February 19, 201016 yr Hi there, We personally prefer Drupal, it may have the steeper learning curve at the start but in our opinion is far more flexible and powerful than Joomla. Having said that, don't let the learning curve put you off; once you have cracked it you will be extremely happy with the power, flexibility and modular prowess Drupal offers. A book that may help: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0672331268/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=15TBA7YFWHZRRZHEGDWN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294 Or if you know the basics of PHP, we issue our new developers with this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Drupal-Development-John-VanDyk/dp/1430209895/ref=pd_sim_b_3 However, if you are just looking for a simple to use interface where you can plugin and buy themes then Joomla would be the road to take (you'll just be confined in the long run). Have a look at some of the web designs and websites we have produced using Drupal: http://www.explosivedesigns.co.uk Hope this helps James
February 19, 201016 yr i was actually doing some research on this myself, from what i gather ( and from what james riley just said ) drupal is more flexible but has a steeper learning curve, i tried installing drupal today but it's seems to have a problem with the latest version of php which is installed on my wamp server =( so i'm just learning to do things in joomla for the time being
February 21, 201016 yr Author If the website is an online shop,would the client be able to update it without to much code Hello, I Prefer working on Drupal
February 21, 201016 yr There are plenty of e-commerce plugins for both Drupal and Joomla out there which I'm sure allow for quite easy editing of the shops items, prices etc without having to manually change code.
February 22, 201016 yr JamesW is absolutely right, we actually built an E-commerce project (http://www.pressbraketooling.com) using the Ubercart plugin for Drupal - it was perhaps not as advanced as some clients may want, but perfect in this case (and was actually quite simple to install and customise as we needed) James Great Web Design at http://www.explosivedesigns.co.uk
Create an account or sign in to comment