Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Me and JavaScript...

Featured Replies

Hi,

 

Am I the only web designer who doesn't understand nothing about JavaScript?...

 

I'm attending JavaScript classes and each and everyone of these hours are pure torture... Puts me right when I began college and left Computer classes to go into the Art program :)

 

I've been a graphic designer for 15 years and I'm taking web design classes. I'm a very creative guy with excellent design/technical/Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign/QuarkXPRess/Flash/Dreamweaver skills. Learning HTML and CSS recently was a breeze and I loved every minute of it.

 

But JavaScript, well... doesn't seem to work for me.

 

I guess I'm more an "image" guy.

 

Ben.

I find it kinda hard as well - I pretty much gave up and and started learning PHP/MySQL instead. It's got a similar syntax but I think its easier to learn as you start by doing simpler tasks. You never really need to learn Javascript properly as there are so many great jQuery scripts out there for you :)

you're not the only one, i can still remember how boring i found my javascript lectures at uni, i did learn how to make a calculator though lol and a few other basic things

mrchristoph has a point although I don't entirely agree. Yes there are plenty of javascript libraries and scripts out there which are free, but I don't think this should be a reason to not learn js. By all means use libraries and free scripts for now, but carry on learning and it will fall into place eventually.

mrchristoph has a point although I don't entirely agree. Yes there are plenty of javascript libraries and scripts out there which are free, but I don't think this should be a reason to not learn js. By all means use libraries and free scripts for now, but carry on learning and it will fall into place eventually.

 

Even the book 'Javascript:the missing manual' tells you to learn the basics and then move on to using Javascript libraries. For me this makes the most sense as otherwise I would be spending a crazy amount of time learning something which you could quite easliy do (and better) by using a library. That being said, some people have to learn Javascript properly to create these libraries in the first place! Just not for me, and I think a lot of other people have the same opinion.

1: Javascript is actually a nice language in many ways, (barring a few humdingers)

2: It's the conflicting implementation of the BOM/DOM that makes it a pig to work with.

3: This is a GREAT book to read to learn vanilla JS: http://eloquentjavascript.net/

4: The need to learn JS is directly related to ones intended career path.

Unless there's a specific reason for learning it in it's entirety using a library is fine,

why spend time learning\writing\debugging script when you can simply use jquery or something similar

libraries aren't an excuse not to learn, but they simply get you through it for the time being....

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.