June 2, 200917 yr Greetings good people! Please constructively critique my student pages! I change the colours now and then, but have had the same basic layout for a long time now, and it works well (for my purpose). The image on the first pages is random, so refresh for more bizarreness. One thing I will ask you to keep in mind: These pages are my playingground where I experiment, they are not made to sell anything, nor are they made to sell me. I am not at all iterested in them being "user friendly", as technically, I am the only user. Having said that, I also like that people looking for information from my pages will have to work it out, there is a simple hint, there is a solution (you will have to live with the fact that all the course info is in Norwegian). I just finished a course in actionscript programming with flying colours, and thought maybe I should flash my pages a little, but .. I feel resistance against that! I think it would be interesting to discuss this: There is a lot of "intuitive" simplification going on out there, and I am the first to leave a commercial page if I cannot navigate it immediately. The result is that there is the standard two/three column-header-footer solution. Makes absolute sense (don't make things complicated for the customer). But still, I miss the simple, simple, simple things, the slightly suprising, with a clear view of what information on the page it is actually all about, and that magic visual balance we all dream about? If some of you think my page is awful, and start out with "I think it is awful" and then continue with "...because..", giving honest and well-founded reasons, I will be very happy. Cheers. link here
June 2, 200917 yr My first impression was that it looked fun but I think it could do with a bit more work. I wasn't aware of any navigation at all and I'm still not to sure what the hover is over the question mark. I do like it's simplicity and the sketchy style of it however it is quite confusing upon initial viewing. The links on the side simply look like images and the question mark looks like it should lead to a help page. Good start though, well done.
June 2, 200917 yr Looks real random I guess it says something about you. I definately think you could use a more standard way of navigating though. Although it's fun to find your way around, some users might end up getting lost.
June 2, 200917 yr Author Thanks guys - all views welcome. @darren: ermm..well, the hoover at the ? is the list of links to courses I am taking. Can you not see it (and in that case, what browser?), or is it just that you are not fluent in norwegian? The images are links to personal stuff, such as photos, sketches and webpages. @dangreaves92 - random, I like that! True, it says something about me. I don't mind it being "unfinished", rough, sketchy, as I said I'm basically the only user. Technically. Theoretically. This is, I suppose, my own archive of my progressing bachelor. I make very different pages for customers, I assure you...
June 2, 200917 yr Thanks guys - all views welcome. @darren: ermm..well, the hoover at the ? is the list of links to courses I am taking. Can you not see it (and in that case, what browser?), or is it just that you are not fluent in norwegian? The images are links to personal stuff, such as photos, sketches and webpages. @dangreaves92 - random, I like that! True, it says something about me. I don't mind it being "unfinished", rough, sketchy, as I said I'm basically the only user. Technically. Theoretically. This is, I suppose, my own archive of my progressing bachelor. I make very different pages for customers, I assure you... Well I'm not fluent in Norewegian haha I mean, I would prefer a label with it... even something like My Courses so I know what I'm looking at. At the moment, it's just a randomly positioned question mark until you hover over it.
June 2, 200917 yr Author Aha! Then I see what you mean. I shall think about that, how to make it understandable, without ..erm. loosing the "empty" feel. :-) (mind you, nobody sees these pages accidently, though, just me and other school-related people) It was an experiment in a text-less webpage. :-) A map, maybe...some kind of map-like drawing or design...hmm based on evolution/stages in life,,...humm (this is good, I'm getting ideas already)
June 3, 200917 yr I know you want the navigation looks fun but I think you still can improve it. Use a question to indicate your main navigation to pop up is a little bit wired for me.
June 3, 200917 yr Hiya, it is a good start but I really, really dislike the navigation (personal preference) and I would say you should make the links on the right hand side obvious as links...
Create an account or sign in to comment