Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Geekoo

Featured Replies

I know it's early in development, but if it's starting of in the wrong direction I'd rather know early about it.

 

Just looking for some feedback about my design. It's my intention to try and get the creatures tail to hang outside the rest of the design, whether or not i can achieve it is a different question.

post-12025-1243854275_thumb.jpg

I like it alot.

Simple, careful use of shadows and gradient.

Good start, Great direction. I'd love to see where you go with it.

  • Author

Thanks boblet.

 

Another little update..

post-12025-1243866959_thumb.jpg

I quite like it until you added the Dundee Poker league image - I dont like the border you have around the image. I think it would look better as just a flat image or maybe a 1px border.

  • Author

Something like this Highway?

 

Ignore the things below it, that's what I'm working on at present.

post-12025-1243872642_thumb.jpg

post-12025-1243873898_thumb.jpg

  • Author

Thanks, I learned a little lesson in only designing this design to the stage it's at just now.

 

If I start it off simple, keep it simple. The extensive border around my poker league graphic was not simple so it didn't really fit in well.. I like it 10x better with a simple 1px border so thanks for the feedback.

If I start it off simple, keep it simple.

 

Very true :-)

I wonder, though, what it would be if you swapped places for the text & image?

You have probably tried that?

  • Author

I did try it and I thought it looked good.. I'm just not sure which way is better!

 

Edit: Even just by posting them next to each other I'm swaying more towards having the picture on the right and text to the left. Would you agree?

post-12025-1243884271_thumb.jpg

post-12025-1243884294_thumb.jpg

Agreed. Looks more balanced.

The first one the images made it a little heavy on one side.

A little more fiddling with alignments and details, and I's say you have a simple, functional, clean page.

 

I try to imagine the invisible mesh you get from columns, here you have (at most) three by three, and then make concious choices placing things within and across (in this case) nine invisible boxes. If that makes sense.

  • Author

Yeh I should have used the 960 template I have no idea why I didn't... probably because I've designed and scrapped about 9 layouts for my folio so far haha.

 

EDIT: Is this ok for a portfolio page? Or is it too simple?

I think it looks great! It's not too simple, and it has a very nice theme going for it.

 

My two cents would be to try lowering the opacity slightly on the vertical bars separating the three block as the bottom. That's all I can think of ;)

 

Good job!

  • Author

Thanks Tom, means alot! Just gotta finish off with a nice footer.

EDIT: Is this ok for a portfolio page? Or is it too simple?

I don't think so. If it is your own page, keep it simple and live with it for a while.

You will want to change things after a while, but it is like furniture; needs setteling in. :-)

Design looks great. The list of services seems a bit cramped, you could try increase the line height.

  • Author

PSD to XHTML has begun!

 

http://dt17.co.uk/geekoo/

 

What do you guys think? I've got the index page and some of the about page done.. and the contact form works.

 

So give it a bash if you would, test in different browsers. It's compatable in IE6, and latest versions of FF & Safari.

Hey Darren,

 

Looking good! I'd go with a bit of bottom margin on the h1 and drop the footer down a little bit. Feels a little bit cramped at the moment.

 

You should only have one h1 on the page - your logo. The "Dundee Poker League" etc should be an h2 to keep it semantic.

 

Also with regards to your logo, best practice would be to have the logo background image on the a tag, with text-indent:-9999px; to hide the text. I don't think search engines will pick up the h1 as it's display none.

 

Hope this helps.

  • Author

I guess that's a good thing? But at the same time, all the feedback I've received has been taken into consideration and has made my site better. I might actually try the colorful gecko and see how that works, thanks again everyone!

 

@Tom - thanks for the tip on the header, I need to do learn some SEO.. just don't know where to start!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.