Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Layout

Featured Replies

Just wondering what people think of my layout?

 

Rating out of 10, comments, criticisms, errors, all appreciated.

 

Thanks, Luke.

 

http://www.lukesims.co.uk/tut/

u: sugar

p: cubes

Hi,

 

the layout looks fine. Seeing as you're currently designing it, why not create the site in vaild xhtml and css? That way both humans and machines can access the information content. Also, once you've learned how, it's so much easier using css to design layouts than tables and you'll often end up writing much less code.

 

steps:

 

1. use correct doctype

2. put content text in elements based on function rather than appearance. For example, put code in a <code> element, text in <p> elements etc.

3. style those semantically correct elements using css

 

Also, it's a good idea (for maintainability) to remove all your javascript into a linked .js file. This way all your javascript code is one place.

 

 

Sameer

  • Author

Thanks for your reply,

 

I haven't validated yet, will do that soon, and it is in divs and css.

 

I'm not sure where you got the table thing from :p:S

 

And thanks for comments.

Hi,

 

I'm so sorry, I was viewing the source of another site! My humble apologies...

 

 

Sameer

 

I'm not sure where you got the table thing from :p:S

 

And thanks for comments.

  • Author

Lol, no worries.

Hi LukeS

Your layout is fine. Maybe just reduce the height of your header and use a darker font color for the line "free html, css..."

I read from another article about keeping the spacings in the web page to a minimum unless you have a reason for that extra space. I like the colors you used.

 

Thanks.

  • Author

Thanks for replies everyone.

 

I ws intending to supply free html, css and php tutorials from my site, (how did you guess :p), but I kinda gave up on it. Kept the layout incase someone else wanted or I wanted it in future.

Learn how to do CSS rollovers rather than Javascript. It's better & faster.

Learn how to do CSS rollovers rather than Javascript. It's better & faster.

 

A programmer told me CSS rollovers are better specially for SEO. Having too many javascripts are not SEO friendly.

  • Author

I know how to do CSS rollovers, just chose not to.

 

And the spee dis based on how quickly the images load, and whether they are preloaded (which they aren't), but this can be achieved with JS.

I know how to do CSS rollovers, just chose not to.

 

So why was that?

  • Author

Because JS was quicker to do at the time.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.