Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

iMac questions

Featured Replies

Hi all,

 

I've recently bought an iMac and am wondering what is the average lifespan for an iMac to be? How many years did it run smoothly before you encountered problems and what sort of problems were they? And also, for those of you still with your first iMac, how long have you had it for?

 

Second question.. I was talking to a friend of mine who has an iMac too. I was telling him how quickly it started up and he was shocked that I actually shut it down everyday. Is it common for people to simply leave their iMacs on 'sleep' and then come back to it the next day or a few days later and just continue working? I've personally only left my pc on sleep when I had to go out for a few hours or so and knew I would be back. I've never really used the sleep function in the way that he described it.

No i leave mine on all day but off at night.

 

I've had no probs yet.....it's coming up for a year. I'm very happy but bit of learning curve.

 

Enjoy!

I'd say it's always best to turn it off when you know you're going to be away for a while (ex. night). I'm not saying that the iMac can't handle always being on, just saying I'd recommend it. Also, if not for the hardware, think of the environment, and how much you'd pollute if you always left it on! Just a heads up.

 

Hope you enjoy the Mac experience,

 

Brendan :D

I really want to get a macbook pro, but a friend of mine moans about the durability of the chassis.

 

Also is it hard getting used to a mac coming from windows ?

have you seen the new macbook pros? They are made from a single block of aluminum and are arguably the most durable pro machine you can buy today, in my opinion they always were just look and feel the high end dells and hps they are all plasticy and massive.

 

When your mac is in sleep it is performing maintenance tasks such as defrag + some other stuff i cant remeber and the cost of a computer in sleep is something like 50p a year so its not going to hurt your wallet...

 

going back to tim.. wtf the durablitly of the chassis??? i have heard a lot about macs but never that, well maybe about the white plastic going brown...

Hmmmm , macbook pro :)

 

I would love to have one....

  • Author
When your mac is in sleep it is performing maintenance tasks such as defrag + some other stuff i cant remeber and the cost of a computer in sleep is something like 50p a year so its not going to hurt your wallet...

 

I thought macs don't defrag because they are on a unix-based system which means that it doesn't fragment its files?

 

can you tilt the new imacs????

 

yes you can, very easily.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.