Sign in to follow this  
CachiaChaos

Going freelance

Hey guys,

I apologise if this is a fairly common thread on here but I need some advice :(

I want to go freelance and want to know what I need to be doing to be able to go freelance and a rough timescale. Currently I have the following:

* 2:1 in Bsc Computer Science

* 1 year experience as a software developer (SQL and C#)

* 1 year experience as a web developer (PHP, SQL, JQuery, HTML, CSS)

Thanks in advance :D

First you have to decide, which kind of task you are wishing to do as a freelancer. If you are experienced and good enough on your selected job then you should make a profile in a freelancing website like Upwork. You have to bid there with cover letter to get any job, if any client like you then you will get that job.

First you have to decide, which kind of task you are wishing to do as a freelancer. If you are experienced and good enough on your selected job then you should make a profile in a freelancing website like Upwork. You have to bid there with cover letter to get any job, if any client like you then you will get that job.

You will make no real money using those websites. They attract clients who want everything and the world for pennies. Not those who value your time and expertise.

My advice will be to spend a few years in the industry before going freelance. 1 year is barely scratching the surface - unless you are an extremely quick learner you will still be at a junior level. Spend time getting better at JavaScript (Not jQuery alone). This was my initial plan but I decided to stay in the industry because I enjoy working with incredibly talented people rather than dealing with clients and business red tape. Where are you working now? If it's for an agency I recommend getting some experience at a large company with very strong development teams (Talking about the likes of Sky, BBC, Guardian and so forth) if possible. It will be a real eye opener.

Edited by rbrtsmith

Degrees don;t hold much weight to be honest. As long as you have experience within the industry you'll be fine. Personally, I wouldn't have liked to start freelancing without first having worked for several agencies. I did this for ~8.5 years before going freelance. On the flip side, I know people who have come straight out of education, immediately freelance are doing very well.