January 8, 201313 yr Hi everyone. Hope you all have had a good christmas and having an enjoyable start to the new year. I always come on here to read the reviews on websites and think about what I would say about them...but I never do give my views because I'm not a designer or developer and don't feel that comfortable saying what I think ! Anyway, I have got a pheasant shooting review website that I have done in wordpress myself (starting from a blank theme) and wanted to know what people think would help visitors write reviews on shoots. After all, that's the most important thing about us ! I was thinking today that maybe take 'read reviews' and 'write reviews' links out of the nav and may be have them somewhere in the top fold, like a good looking, large button. What do you guys think ? Thanks in advance LINK
January 8, 201313 yr I would lose the underline on hover on the nav and maybe add a bit of css3 magic to it with a fade in or out. Also, the newsletter sign up box is MASSIVE! does it need to be that big? It dominates the page.
January 8, 201313 yr Author Thanks Kree8or Yeh good point. I did actually think about that today (newsletter)...so glad you have noticed that too. What do you think about the button idea ?
January 10, 201313 yr Yes very safe and beardy design. Imo this is totally passable. I would use this website and think nothing of it. The only thing i think is ameturish is that the nav jpeg looked garbled. It wasnt nice clean colours. Looks pixilated.
January 10, 201313 yr Author Yes very safe and beardy design. Imo this is totally passable. I would use this website and think nothing of it. The only thing i think is ameturish is that the nav jpeg looked garbled. It wasnt nice clean colours. Looks pixilated. Hi Ernie Thanks for the kind words. Do you mean the nav background ? When I did it in Photoshop during the mock up i added some noise to give it that effect. At the time I thought it looked better. Will have a look into it though, so thanks.
January 10, 201313 yr I have looked at this a couple of times now, and unsure of what to put. Love the Idea, and great unique marketing for advertising, I think you have cracked the colour scheme, and design for your target audience. in addition your always going to have more and more content to add in with this sort of site, i think you should move the search bar, you have it at the bottom of the page, and no user wants to search for a search bar.. on the right side of your page you have a form contained in a box then Recent Shoot Reviews with no box then advert in a box, i think and i may be wrong without seeing it, but keep your design consistent and make sure your margins and padding are equal, particularly noticeable in the footer. get some imagery in your reviews..... toooo much text hurts my eyes. overall, i would say you have an awesome idea here and alot of the design work covered, keep working at it, you will crack this nicely. Any help you need give me a pm Craig
January 10, 201313 yr Author I have looked at this a couple of times now, and unsure of what to put. Love the Idea, and great unique marketing for advertising, I think you have cracked the colour scheme, and design for your target audience. in addition your always going to have more and more content to add in with this sort of site, i think you should move the search bar, you have it at the bottom of the page, and no user wants to search for a search bar.. on the right side of your page you have a form contained in a box then Recent Shoot Reviews with no box then advert in a box, i think and i may be wrong without seeing it, but keep your design consistent and make sure your margins and padding are equal, particularly noticeable in the footer. get some imagery in your reviews..... toooo much text hurts my eyes. overall, i would say you have an awesome idea here and alot of the design work covered, keep working at it, you will crack this nicely. Any help you need give me a pm Craig Hi Craig. Thanks for your input. Im just about to write you a PM. Cheers Dave
January 10, 201313 yr Well Craig has gave you all the advice you need man for the site but just to add think it's a great niche website you've got going on! Good job
January 11, 201313 yr Author Thanks Aaron. Have got a bit of time over the weekend to try some things out. Thanks everyone.
January 11, 201313 yr I like above the fold ''review, write a review' You could add more emphasis on the review tabs, like change the font colour?
January 11, 201313 yr I missed the search box! You have loads of spare room in the header part, maybe plonk it there (under the social icons?) or maybe above the newsletter sign up box and just shift it all down a bit? Decent looking site really.
January 14, 201313 yr Might be worth changing that background gradient to a CSS gradient rather than JPEG, got a lot of banding going on.
January 15, 201313 yr Good job on the colour scheme. IMO, remove the underline from the navigation links and for some reason the hover green colour hurts my eyes. Think its where you strain to see the text. Hover should make the text stand out more from the others. Perhaps go from a like grey to a white on hover instead of the green.
Create an account or sign in to comment