Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Full Screen Layouts + Page Loading Help

Featured Replies

Hi, I was wondering how does one get a full screen website layout, instead of having a <div> around 960px centered to the middle will all the main content going into that?

 

Also I see websites where it looks like the page loading only loads the main <div> and not the actual menus etc., how is that done.

 

An example I found is this site : -

http://www.simpleart.com.ua/en

You do this by arranging the items of the page, but not using absolute positioning. You could, for example, set the margins, or the padding instead. That way the items would always be a set distance from the edge of the window instead of being in an exact location based on the pixels.

  • Author

You do this by arranging the items of the page, but not using absolute positioning. You could, for example, set the margins, or the padding instead. That way the items would always be a set distance from the edge of the window instead of being in an exact location based on the pixels.

 

Cheers, I thought for a full screen layout you needed to have your wrapper div as big as the screen.

 

What about the page loading?

Edited by RiskyShenanigan

For that, I'm not quite sure what the question is. Are you asking how you can control the order of what loads first?

  • Author

For that, I'm not quite sure what the question is. Are you asking how you can control the order of what loads first?

 

You see when you click a link in a menu to go to a certain page, however I just see the div contents load not the whole page, how is that done, the whole page doesn't reload just a certain area of the page to show the contents, or is it just optimitized really well?

 

Kind of like this site, when you click Forum, or another menu item, whole page doesn't reload just the contents below.

Edited by RiskyShenanigan

Aha! Yes I know what you mean. It's not page optimisation. You can do it either with Flash or with Ajax. Let me see if I can dig up a tutorial for you. I'll edit this when I find one :)

 

Got one. Here ya go. It's pretty ugly but the way it looks is totally customisable to your preference :)

 

http://www.crackajax.net/tabs.php

Edited by Malick

  • Author

Aha! Yes I know what you mean. It's not page optimisation. You can do it either with Flash or with Ajax. Let me see if I can dig up a tutorial for you. I'll edit this when I find one :)

 

Got one. Here ya go. It's pretty ugly but the way it looks is totally customisable to your preference :)

 

http://www.crackajax.net/tabs.php

 

Thanks, been wondering how this is done.

Thanks, been wondering how this is done.

No problem, glad I could help :)

Hi, I was wondering how does one get a full screen website layout, instead of having a <div> around 960px centered to the middle will all the main content going into that?

 

Also I see websites where it looks like the page loading only loads the main <div> and not the actual menus etc., how is that done.

 

An example I found is this site : -

http://www.simpleart.com.ua/en

Hi,

 

I am not sure whether my answer would help you in any way or not but i can just try.

If you want the layout to cover the complete screen you simply need to give width as 100% which automatically resizes itself according to the resolution.

 

Thanking You,

Futureistic Team.

Hi, I was wondering how does one get a full screen website layout, instead of having a <div> around 960px centered to the middle will all the main content going into that?

 

A totally fluid layout is difficult to control when some viewers are using hand-held devices with 320px in one direction while others on PCs may have 1920px width so your page would be very squashed up or very spread out.

 

You can do it if there isn't much page content, so squashing up or spreading out doesn't matter. Use % for element widths, side margins, side padding, left or right positions totalling 100% and also size image widths in %. Borders can't be sized in % so make the total widths 97% or 98% to allow for side borders in px.

 

As an alternative, set a page wrap div with min-width and max-width and then you can limit the squashing up or spreading out and some elements inside can be fluid. Sometimes you don't state a width for these and they can use whatever width is available.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.