Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

WIP Website - Design thoughts so far

Featured Replies

Hi guys, I'm currently working on a site. It's obviously not finished codewise and content wise, but I'd like some opinions on the overall style and more importantly the colours.

 

http://simonkilmore.co.uk/projects/FooFightersLive/

 

 

Explore as far as you can, some pages are there like the live guide and dvd guide. As you can see on the home page at the moment are several different colours, obviously the final version wouldn't be like that, those are just the colours I've been testing and that i've left up there for you to compare. I guess you can also use firebug etc to adjust things.

 

I've had someone else tell me the red normal links are too dark and not clear enough, do you agree?

 

So yeah, design wise what are your thoughts?

  • Author

Anyone? Bueller?

Needs opening up a bit. Try setting:

 

body {
line-height: 1.5em;
}

 

You'll need to tweak the line-height for your headings though.

 

This. It's really cramped. I'd cut some text away and add some whitespace in where you can, it's really overwhelming at the moment.

I really like it, the dark grey and red go together well!

 

However, as said before try spacing things out a wee bit more. Just an idea, but do you need the full size image rotator on the sub pages such as DVD Guide? Kinda just gets in the way of the content imo.

 

Also in the footer the text is behind the FF logo (see attached image)

post-29372-0-53160800-1303254907_thumb.png

  • Author

Thanks for the comments, appreciated. I'll have a play with the line spacing but do you have any other comments? Are the colours ok, and the red links are clear enough?

 

RE: the footer yeah I still can't get that right, see this thread - http://www.webdesignerforum.co.uk/topic/47860-tricky-footer-design/page__p__302555#entry302555

  • Author

Ok I've made some of the suggested changes and a few more, thoughts?

 

http://simonkilmore.co.uk/projects/FooFightersLive/

 

The only thing I'm still not sure on is font colour. Is the grey I've got too dark, would the colour I've currently got on the OL in the post better? I'm really not sure.

 

Oh also this is the site I was having IE compatibility issues with. Is it just me that notices the text is quite different in compatibility mode than without? More spaced out and just looks differently rendered. Only seems to be affecting IE9.

It looks fine to me in IE both in normal and compatibility modes, and I used IE 9. I think the grey is just right and I like the background texture. The red is ok, but maybe make it slightly brighter. And I'm glad I could help with the footer :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.