February 4, 201115 yr Looking for some advice. I'm a designer who can code HTML and CSS that's looking to boost my skills in some programming with Javascript/jQuery and PHP. Would you recommend learning Javascript to a certain level or would it make any difference just diving straight into jQuery?
February 5, 201115 yr Understand how JavaScript works, no need to master it, but know it to the level where you will appreciate the ease of using JQuery
February 5, 201115 yr jQuery is javascript. I strongly suggest learning javascript, as you will find that you can do certain things in a few lines of vanilla js that others use jQuery for. It's a great library, but so bloated for half the things people use it for...
February 5, 201115 yr jQuery is javascript. I strongly suggest learning javascript, as you will find that you can do certain things in a few lines of vanilla js that others use jQuery for. It's a great library, but so bloated for half the things people use it for... Umm I agree that it's 'bloated', but 29kb isn't something to worry about too much in this day and age. If you can allow for the extra 0.004 seconds* to download the compressed library, do it. *Assumes 8mbps connection
February 5, 201115 yr Umm I agree that it's 'bloated', but 29kb isn't something to worry about too much in this day and age. If you can allow for the extra 0.004 seconds* to download the compressed library, do it. *Assumes 8mbps connection It's a valid point* - but good design incorporates conservation. Why use 1000 lines of code when you can use 10? I realise not everyone has the time or patience to get to grips with js (I am one of those people) but I still think learning the language is better than using a library. Where will you turn if you find a bug? Or to do something utterly simple? *Nice footnote
February 5, 201115 yr It's a valid point* - but good design incorporates conservation. Why use 1000 lines of code when you can use 10? I realise not everyone has the time or patience to get to grips with js (I am one of those people) but I still think learning the language is better than using a library. Where will you turn if you find a bug? Or to do something utterly simple? *Nice footnote I've started to get quite acquainted to footnotes recently It is true that it's bloated for things like tabbed content, etc. - you're totally correct. Learning Javascript will inevitably help with jQuery, since it is Javascript with a shorter syntax. But if it's bloating the page you're worried about - there's really no need to panic*! * Just to keep the footnotes alive
February 6, 201115 yr I've started to get quite acquainted to footnotes recently It is true that it's bloated for things like tabbed content, etc. - you're totally correct. Learning Javascript will inevitably help with jQuery, since it is Javascript with a shorter syntax. But if it's bloating the page you're worried about - there's really no need to panic*! * Just to keep the footnotes alive Please excuse my n00bness here guys, but what do you mean when you say it's bloated?
February 6, 201115 yr Please excuse my n00bness here guys, but what do you mean when you say it's bloated? To use jQuery, you need to include the jQuery library which is 29kb. Including that to just do what you could do with a few lines of vanilla is bloating. Edited February 6, 201115 yr by andyl
February 6, 201115 yr Yeah you have to download the whole jQuery file, even if you are just going to use a couple of lines of code. However 29kb isnt much these days
Create an account or sign in to comment