Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Some Layout Problems

Featured Replies

Hi All

 

Ive been left with changing our business website, something that was done by my father, but he has since passed away.

 

I am having troubles with the layout and wondering if anybody could help.

 

I have 2 columns and cannot get them side by side, fustrating!

 

site is here: getahead-direct.com

 

Any ideas?

 

Thank you :)

I would find the div's id/class and edit the CSS.

 

Just from looking at your website, I think the problem is that the collumns are too wide. They will over run the body width. Try making them a little smaller for instance...:

 

If the body (May also be a div) is like this:

 

body {

width: 800px;

}

And your content inside the boxes when added up is over 800px... Then they will not sit side-by-side. You need to change the width of the content inside the div that houses them to be within the maxiumum limit.

 

After you have done this, it might pay off to just use the following CSS to position the boxes as it seems you plan to put two in each row:

 

float: left;

float: right;

 

If you wish to center something, just use this instead:

 

margin-right: auto;

margin-left: auto;

And if needed:

Display: block;

 

 

I didn't get a chance to look at the code so I don't know how good this advice is, but you can certainly adapt the CSS files for you site to house this method. Just depends on how time consuming that may be.

 

Alex O'Connor

  • Author

Thanks Alex, still no luck.

 

heres the code I have for it

 

#wrap {display: block; background-color: #FFFFFF; color: #666666; margin-top: 9px; }
* html #wrap {margin-top: -10px;}
#left {display: block; background-color: #FFFFFF; color: #666666; width: 208px; float: left; position: relative; top: 0px;}
#group {display: block; background-color: #FFFFFF; color: #666666; width: 933px; float: right; position: relative; top: 0px;}
#centre {display: block; background-color: #FFFFFF; color: #666666; width: 608px; right:left; top: 0px;}

 

<!-- InstanceEndEditable --></div>
<!--end centre div-->


</div><!--end group div-->
<div id="left">
<?php include("/home/fhlinux146/g/getahead-direct.com/user/htdocs/includes/a_column.php"); ?>
</div>
<!--end left div-->

<div class="fauxclear"></div>
</div><!--end wrap div-->
<div id="tutorials"><a name="freetutorials" id="freetutorials"></a>
<?php include("/home/fhlinux146/g/getahead-direct.com/user/htdocs/includes/freetutorial.php"); ?>
</div>
<div id="freedown"><a name="freedownloads" id="freedownloads"></a>
<?php include("/home/fhlinux146/g/getahead-direct.com/user/htdocs/includes/freedownload.php"); ?>
</div>

<div id="footer">
<?php include("/home/fhlinux146/g/getahead-direct.com/user/htdocs/includes/footer.php"); ?>
</div><!--end footer div-->
</div><!--end page div-->
<?php include("/home/fhlinux146/g/getahead-direct.com/user/htdocs/includes/google.php"); ?>
</body>
<!-- InstanceEnd -->

#left {display: block; background-color: #FFFFFF; color: #666666; width: 208px; float: left; position: relative; top: 0px;}

#group {display: block; background-color: #FFFFFF; color: #666666; width: 933px; float: right; position: relative; top: 0px;

 

This would make the overall lengh of your entire webpage 1141? If your total page lengh is -LESS- than that, that's the reason it won't work. It's hard to see from here why it will not work, but if you could email me all the files 'saiminhru@live.com', I can take a look for you. Or email me a link of where I can download a zipped version of your site.

 

Alex O'Connor -

  • Author

Hi

 

Silly me, dont know hoe I didnt pick up on that, I have changed that now, now they are both on same area, but overlapping each other...getting there!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.