Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

vista problem

Featured Replies

ok this is really strange, I am trying to delete a folder on my desktop and I can't

 

 

I get this....post-1736-1201539251_thumb.jpg

 

 

basically it just says that it cannot delete the folder due to it not existing, I can't rename it or move it or anything like that either. However I can still add and delete things that are within this folder just not the folder itself. I have looked around the net and cannot find a solution so was hoping that someone here might have a clue as to what to do.

 

 

Thanks in advance.

How odd. Have you tried hitting F5? Refresh the desktop?

Do you have admin rights?

Maybe try logging in as another user. (admin user)

  • Author

yes I have tried command prompt, I have hit f5, also reset the PC a couple of times, I have admin rights, and there are no other users...I guess I could create a new one.

 

 

Can't do anything tonight as I am now at home, so if anyone else wants to make a suggestion that I can try tomorrow that would be great :lol:

another method could be to boot into recovery mode with your install CD and use the recovery console to try and delete the folder. (if you're comfortable with a DOS like interface that is.)

 

there might be some software out there as well. I remember having trouble deleting a file or folder, years ago, because the file contained illegal character. (haven't got a clue how that was possible in the first place, some random crappy app that somehow managed it) I think the solution then was some utility app I found. got no idea what it was though.

  • Author

I tried that yesterday, when I renamed the folder it told me that I couldn't so reset to default...But to make matters worse it wouldn't let me leave it as that because of there was already a folder called that (which there isn't other than that one) so it wouldn't let me out of the rename process, leaving me to have to switch it off by the powerbutton.

 

 

 

I have also tried safemode and that doesn't work either.....my god vista is buggy

I tried that yesterday, when I renamed the folder it told me that I couldn't so reset to default...But to make matters worse it wouldn't let me leave it as that because of there was already a folder called that (which there isn't other than that one) so it wouldn't let me out of the rename process, leaving me to have to switch it off by the powerbutton.

 

 

 

I have also tried safemode and that doesn't work either.....my god vista is buggy

 

 

when did this file appear? what application created it?

Ok. Did some googling. found a few other with the same problem. However they all said it was fixed by rebooting or Ctrl+F5. (have you rebooted since you tried to remove the folder? not just put the comp to sleep?)

 

I did find another possible solution; http://www.netfresco.com/tech/item-not-found/

 

 

What an odd bug you've encountered...

  • 2 weeks later...

Try reinstalling the vista its LOADS more fun. But honestly,try moving to XP theres nothing it can't give You if You just put the vista theme and install some progs :)

  • Author

Its a work pc so I can't move to xp, as the company uses vista and as for my home pc it is xp with a vista theme....if you can be bothered to find the show your desktop thread (as I can't :p ) there is a pic of my home pc on there :)

Its a work pc so I can't move to xp, as the company uses vista and as for my home pc it is xp with a vista theme....if you can be bothered to find the show your desktop thread (as I can't :p ) there is a pic of my home pc on there :)

 

 

Cheat the system! Well actually... I had similiar problems in xp.Try running in safe mode and delete it ? (If vista even supports such evolved technology) ;)

I use a program called Gipo move on boot, but I think support only goes as far as XP (Although perhaps try it on Vista it may work anyway?)

 

Alternatively download the free trial version of tuneup utilities 2008 and try using the tuneup shredder.

Also use the registry cleaner as there may be something funky in the registry blocking you from deleting the folder that Tune-up can fix for you. I have a license for tuneup and it is well worth it for keeping XP under control (i'm not affiliated) so I imagine it is also very useful for vista users.

http://www.tuneup-software.co.uk/products/tuneup-utilities/

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.