Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How to get started

Featured Replies

I am new to the freelancing business. I was wondering how difficult it is to get started doing business in this manner. I know about having a business plan, so I know which route to take and not forget anything along the way, but I don't even know where to start. Where to look for jobs etc.

 

Any input would be great here guys! :unsure:

One of the best places to look for jobs is really active forums with classified sections. Look for forums where webmasters hang out. A lot of times people have small projects they need help on and you can get established with a client in a regular fashion.

I've got a lot of my work from word of mouth - I've got some clients that just can't help but spread the good word about me and it's brought in tons more and I don't even pay them to advertise on my behalf - I can't thank them enough.

 

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS put a credit in the footer of every site that you do as standard. I always do this and it's been a very good way of marketing my skills and bringing traffic to my website - often from 'potential clients' in a similar field of work to the site they linksed from - hence I do a lot of work for the creative sector - which is exactly what I enjoy doing most.

 

I could go on but it's late and I do tend to waffle...

To get started, you need to have the software (Photoshop or its free relative GIMP, an HTML editor, etc.). Once you got that, you need to think legal forms. You can take a look at other web designer’s forms and go from there or you can buy a kit online. Setup a portfolio if you don’t already have one. Once you’ve done all that go advertise all over freelance directories, there are even sites where you can make bids on projects online.

 

The 7 Habits of Highly Successful Web Designers

 

1. love what you do

2. never stop learning

3. specialize

4. get a killer portfolio

5. network like crazy

6. manage your time

7. build your reputation

 

This article has a list of free resources that are helpful to get started: Web Designer's Freelance Toolbox

Wow, great info all, I am also new and trying to get started.I really loved the 7-healthy habits of a web designer, Thankx all Echos

  • 1 year later...

Thanks as well! i'm a beginner so this is helpful :)

@melissajean - nice links you got there!

quick bit of advice (from someone who has just got past the "just started" phase) :

 

don't be tempted to charge sweet FA just to get work - the clients will still expect the world, they will bug you for months afterwards (cos you are cheap), will bitch when you increase your rates, and most importantly you will work your socks off and still be at the breadline. It can really demoralise you, and only the most strong-willed peeps out there will stick with it.

quick bit of advice (from someone who has just got past the "just started" phase) :

 

don't be tempted to charge sweet FA just to get work - the clients will still expect the world, they will bug you for months afterwards (cos you are cheap), will bitch when you increase your rates, and most importantly you will work your socks off and still be at the breadline. It can really demoralise you, and only the most strong-willed peeps out there will stick with it.

 

 

Very good point penguin! I was like that when I first started off - it also pays to (if you can) be picky with your clients, there are some people out there that are just not worth working for.

I learnt the hard way when I did some work for my girl friends mums boss and never got paid for it - oh the innocents of a budding web designer. :cray:

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.