Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Designing a website?

Featured Replies

Hey guys,

 

Does anyone know a really good site to learn how to design websites properly? I can code but im just generally terrible at the design side, Im pretty good at photoshop so there shouldnt be much i cannot do. Im mainly just really bad at ideas and making the design look good.

 

How did you guys learn how to design?

 

 

Matt

half of design is expression. Take a look at a few sites to get some ideas, and then start drawing. I always put my hand to paper first, then produce wire frames and then code it.

 

CSS beauty, and template monster can give you a few ideas..

Hi matt

 

for me being creative was something i was always natural at, drawing, painting making stuff you name it.

 

but what i can say is practice makes perfect, you'll look back in a years time at stuff you did in the past and think how much you have improved.

 

I have been doing design for ages and I see creative all the time that I think I could never do, so never be down if you see designs that look better than yours we all have to start somewhere.

 

keep going

 

bj

  • Author

Thanks guys :)

 

Well i get ideas for sites, i just cant get them to look good with the ideas i get lol. I need to learn to be creative as the job i want as a game developer/exterior level designer i need it xD

Patterntap is a pretty cool site for design inspiration...I've just found this recently as, like yourself, I want to get better at the design side of things to match the coding :)
  • Author

That PatternTap is sweet :)

 

Here is my new design for my portfolio website what do you guys think?

 

Macli_Design_Website_Ver_1_by_Macli_Design.jpg

there is a really good book that my old university lecturers wrote called Web Standardistas.

 

http://www.webstandardistas.com/

 

the book teaches you the basic principals of web design/css/html....more or less the course I studies in a book! lol

 

with regards you're template, I think it looks quite good. However, maybe rethink you're typography for you're headings. and the pink colour seems to clash strongly with the grey background, maybe look into gradients for you're buttons and background?

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.